Methotic

Webs camshafts - are these useable?

Stumbled on a set of 539/540 cams for sale. Owner wants 450$. Pictures worry me a bit since there seems to be pretty deep gouging in cam lobes. Tell me, are these salvageable? 

received_2333727793411729.jpeg

received_964648240543960.jpeg

received_2117892191845506.jpeg

received_2645740578793648.jpeg

received_909988706041531.jpeg

received_367450293926872.jpeg

received_1416005841871556.jpeg

You need to call Webb cams on these...i looked into buying these as well.  Brand new cams are not much more.  Plus...these are very aggressive, hence why he pulled them out.  

You can buy brand new billet for around $100 more.

If you have already purchased them call Web and talk to Faith.

540/539 were the go to cams for LT-Z riders. Unless you have an FCR, higher compression and MRD exhaust you don't really need to worry about those cams. Piston to valve clearance will need to be checked also.

52 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

You can buy brand new billet for around $100 more.

If you have already purchased them call Web and talk to Faith.

540/539 were the go to cams for LT-Z riders. Unless you have an FCR, higher compression and MRD exhaust you don't really need to worry about those cams. Piston to valve clearance will need to be checked also.

But how would you ever degree them in with the welded gears? Doesn't  Webs come with adjustable gears?

Where you need to look for scoring and damage is the top of the lobes where spring pressure is highest.  You will almost never see wear on the base circle.  I do see what appears to be gouging on one of them but it is off of the lobe and there is no load on that area.  It could be cleaned up with an abrasive wheel.  The journals look fine, I don't see signs of oil starvation. 

The price does seem high though.  Too much for used.

2 hours ago, Methotic said:

Pictures worry me a bit since there seems to be pretty deep gouging in cam lobes

3 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

I think he is talking about the scoring at the bearing journey.....nothing to do with cam lobe

You can see the more significant gouges on the left side lobe in the last pic.  Same pic also shows minor dings in the journal to the right. 

Either way, the journals and lobes look fine other than the minor dings.  If lube was marginal it is most likely to show at the top of the lobe where spring pressure is highest.  The dings could be smoothed carefully with an abrasive wheel.  For that price though these should be in better condition. 

• Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

You can see the more significant gouges on the left side lobe in the last pic.  Same pic also shows minor dings in the journal to the right. 

Either way, the journals and lobes look fine other than the minor dings.  If lube was marginal it is most likely to show at the top of the lobe where spring pressure is highest.  The dings could be smoothed carefully with an abrasive wheel.  For that price though these should be in better condition. 

I read the title and looked at pics....🤪
Yup good catch.

For the buy in, id start with new cams.....over those used ones with minor issues but too highly priced.

36 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

I think he is talking about the scoring at the bearing journey.....nothing to do with cam lobe

Fourth picture has some strange gouges on the journal.

Fourth picture has some strange gouges on the journal.

Look at the exhaust cam. Those are interested marks. Judging by the absence of the coating on the intake's base circle those valves were zeroed out. Wonder if seller grenaded the engine and is trying to part out what he can?Screenshot_20190814-131707.thumb.jpeg.5af8817328efd82dad5519a653d9ffd4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Those look roached, I would not buy them.

I'm surprised they would be sold new with those welds too, they look like some dark garage work on a harbor freight welder.

3 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Wonder if seller grenaded the engine and is trying to part out what he can?

Perhaps, but the only time I've seen cam damage no matter the destruction over all is the common lack of oil damage, or broken valve spring related damage...and of the two, that looks like what might happen of a spring broke and the locks, tops and bits of spring were floating around the cam area while the motor wound down.

And with a grind like those have......who the heck would want fixed timing and welded sprockets?

In any case, a Big ahh, ya no on buying those 

• Like 2

Those look roached, I would not buy them.
I'm surprised they would be sold new with those welds too, they look like some dark garage work on a harbor freight welder.
I have received cams both welded and unwelded from Web. Those tack welds look just like my latest set.

Perhaps, but the only time I've seen cam damage no matter the destruction over all is the common lack of oil damage, or broken valve spring related damage...and of the two, that looks like what might happen of a spring broke and the locks, tops and bits of spring were floating around the cam area while the motor wound down.

And with a grind like those have......who the heck would want fixed timing and welded sprockets?

In any case, a Big ahh, ya no on buying those 

Maybe they have been loose and banging around in a box for a while? That end lobe as a nice chip out of it.

If they were dirt cheap knowing that Web will repair/grind cams for a fee then yeah. Those, I agree way too much. I sold my pristine 540's for $400.

I had them weld my 539s at 110 and called it a day. After last year's build I can say for the 1st time in 13 years that I'm satisfied with how she runs. Plus I would probably drive myself crazy if I had the ability to play with the LCA. Or I would break something, one or the other.