"is designed to improve coolant flow, simplify and improve engine venting system"     It removes the thermostat and air injection solenoid purge valve so that emissions systems can be removed.

disadvantage- no thermostat.  Less efficient in burning supplied fuel while operating at low temperature. During cool weather may not maintain operating temperature..  in a racing world this would be fine as the bike is always putting out power and making heat.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 3

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2021 at 2:43 PM, CrashMW said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am wondering what is the difference between the SDPH Thermostat delete and the Champion kit (which requires your bike be down for a week or more due to the exchange)?

Thanks in advance,

MW

My CA kit dint require the bike to be down a week...perhaps that's changed?  I just liked the engineering of the CA kit and Colton did such an awesome job with his instal vid I felt that should be rewarded.  Written instructions suck by comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dart_347 said:

I would be more worried about it overheating in 100 degree weather from not allowing the coolant to sit in the radiators long enough to get cooled down.  Is this a problem? I guess not if the thermostat is really impeding the flow.

That is not the issue from what I've read and understand at all. Thermostat is to help the engine get to operating temperature more quickly for emissions and other reasons by NOT allowing it to circulate. Stopping the flow is less cooling. 

I'm always curious why people would remove the thermostat. .

From my understanding the thermostat holds back coolant to allow the engine to reach peak operating temperature faster to reduce emissions, reach peak efficiency, and to allow rings or other sealing metals to expand quicker after startup (reduce wear).

Why would you want to keep an engine "cold"?

When the engine is at full/above operating temperature the thermostat basically is "open" just as if the thermostat was deleted.

Maybe its to remove a possible failure point, so you don't run the risk of a stuck thermostat?

Very confused on this.

40 minutes ago, IdealMachine said:

From my understanding the thermostat holds back coolant to allow the engine to reach peak operating temperature faster to reduce emissions, reach peak efficiency, and to allow rings or other sealing metals to expand quicker after startup (reduce wear).

When the engine is at full/above operating temperature the thermostat basically is "open" just as if the thermostat was deleted.

Maybe its to remove a possible failure point, so you don't run the risk of a stuck thermostat?

Very confused on this.

Agreed. I've never seen so many screw with a $10,000+ machine in my life. If you think it needed all these mods and corrections, why did you not just select another motorcycle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IdealMachine said:

Very confused on this.

Not sure why you're confused.

Drops several pounds from the bike... eliminates an otherwise required mechanical operation... does not hurt the performance in any way whatsoever.

Done Done and Done.

36 minutes ago, Atieri said:

Agreed. I've never seen so many screw with a $10,000+ machine in my life. If you think it needed all these mods and corrections, why did you not just select another motorcycle?

So you're saying everyone should leave their bikes stock or look for another one?

I'm saying if you spent so much $$$$ on modifing that you could have bought another new 450L you might have a problem.

2 things the bike needs is all I've done. A fuel tuner is necessary for the lean condition and a new muffler to delete the cat. You may need better tires than stock if you ride in the mud. All else is fine, bars, pegs etc. Oh I forgot the Acerbis frame guards I have yet to install and the new license plate holder was also necessary.

The stock license plate holder can double as a wheelie bar if it had little wheels on it, so that had to go.

Edited by Atieri

44 minutes ago, 6IX said:

Not sure why you're confused.

Drops several pounds from the bike... eliminates an otherwise required mechanical operation... does not hurt the performance in any way whatsoever.

Done Done and Done.

I’m curious how you lost seven pounds from deleting the T.stat?

10 minutes ago, Atieri said:

I'm saying if you spent so much $$$$ on modifing that you could have bought another new 450L you might have a problem.

2 things the bike needs is all I've done. A fuel tuner is necessary for the lean condition and a new muffler to delete the cat. You may need better tires than stock if you ride in the mud. All else is fine, bars, pegs etc. Oh I forgot the Acerbis frame guards I have yet to install and the new license plate holder was also necessary.

The stock license plate holder can double as a wheelie bar if it had little wheels on it, so that had to go.

and handguards... and a decent skid plate.... 

17 minutes ago, nokturnal said:

and handguards... and a decent skid plate.... 

And removing the emissions equipment to get rid of the exhaust pop that the cat masked, that's considered necessary. I'm not rock crawling or knuckle busting, so I should be fine without the handguards and with the stock skidder. As long as the stock skid plate will prevent a rock from being kicked up by the front tire and busting through the case, and it does just that, I'm ok with it.

Edited by Atieri

This bike seems pretty cold blooded.  The stock tune takes a while before it gets out of the cold start tables.  The deceleration fuel shutoff is not enabled until it is up to operating temps.  It takes a few miles before it gets there in the 40-50 degree weather I have been riding in.  I hate that the tune completely changes characteristics on decel after you've been riding for 5 minutes.  Hopefully the Vortex will be more consistent, but I think I'll leave the t-stat in to help warm it up sooner and stay at a consistent operating temp.  I always ran slightly cooler t-stats in my cars so I'll do that if one is available. It definitely looks better with the t-stat off!

Hey, have any of you noticed that you can really smell fuel after eliminating all the smog crap.  I get a strong fuel smell after parking the bike now, but I swear that all of the odor is coming from the breather hose on the gas tank's cap which is now routed under the bars into the fork.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 7:36 PM, IdealMachine said:

Very confused on this.

The thermostat delete kits also include the parts to remove all the emission parts. Eliminates a little weight, opens up areas of the bike for easier cleaning.   The emission deletes can be otherwise accomplished with $5 vacuum  caps. Those that may not completely understand emission systems and how the components work may opt for the kit method and instructions to complete the delete. 

On 2/17/2021 at 9:16 AM, dart_347 said:

I would be more worried about it overheating in 100 degree weather from not allowing the coolant to sit in the radiators long enough to get cooled down.  Is this a problem? I guess not if the thermostat is really impeding the flow.

Yea huge misconception. You can’t flow to much water through an engine at full kill.  The longer it stays in the radiator the longer it stays in the engine.  You won’t have issues over heating. Maybe, over cooling but unlikely in a typical dirt bike application.  

Think about any other type of industry that requires water to air cooling.  They would never use a less powerfull water pump to cool better.  More water flow means more cooling.