Just saw an ad today for a new Tusk Recon Hybrid tire from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. They describe it as a gummy off road/enduro tire and it goes for $59.99. Looks like they only come in rears so far. Searched and didn’t see anything about them on here yet so I wanted to post and see if anyone has heard about or used one yet?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/l/Tusk-Recon-Hybrid-Tire?il_source=home&il_medium=main-tusk-recon-hybrid-tire

"only $59.99, regular price $79.99" it says.   arent these brand new to the market today, how can the regular price be $79.99??

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cdf450 said:

"only $59.99, regular price $79.99" it says.   arent these brand new to the market today, how can the regular price be $79.99??

A lot of places do that, might never go to $79.00, or, could be an Introduction special offer. Helps to get them out the door, and on bikes so people can comment and rate them

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

Hopefully it ends up being a good tire and stays at that price. Can’t wait to hear some real world reviews on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SS109 said:

Looks like it'll have similar downhill performance as the Shinko 505. The 505 scared the hell out of me on loose downhills.

Yup. I have the 505 on my bike now and downhills were not it's strong suit! This tire looks very much like he 505.

• Like 1

There’s no way it’ll go to $79 and be priced higher than the m5b or the shinko 525. It’ll be staying at $59 I’m sure. Tusk is always 10-20% less.

8 hours ago, ericridebike said:

Hopefully it ends up being a good tire and stays at that price. Can’t wait to hear some real world reviews on it.

Can you say Artrax? :lol:

Hopefully not RM's version of that garbage Motosport house brand. :smirk:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, katoom64 said:

Yup. I have the 505 on my bike now and downhills were not it's strong suit! This tire looks very much like he 505.

Looks half way between the 505 and 525 to me, a little more spacing than the 505. 

They say it has softer sidewalls with might be the deal breaker for me if they are softer than the 505 / 525 those are both stiff enough to run zero psi with tubliss in case I get a flat and just want to ride it out

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just saw this email and ad too. I doubt Tusk has their own tire plant. I wonder who makes this tire for them?

Edited by RoachToast

side by side the tread is shinko 505, same compound? still made in korea?  same mold , same pricing.  Kind of like the china made golden tire vs. korean shinko 216 debate?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

Looks half way between the 505 and 525 to me, a little more spacing than the 505. 

They say it has softer sidewalls with might be the deal breaker for me if they are softer than the 505 / 525 those are both stiff enough to run zero psi with tubliss in case I get a flat and just want to ride it out

Ya as per your other post I agree on the 505/525 cross but I have both on my 2 bikes right know and IMO a little more 505 side to side knobby spacing.

Personally the 505 Cheater has been the best tire I've ever used for where/how I ride on my CRF250R and even used, on my DRZ400 it worked incredibly well at a recent DS event and rode lots of pavement and it still will not die :) From 4ish to 15ish PSI with UHD tubes on both bikes depending.

20190816_163657.jpg.490afa697be5880a17f3c605e4b83554.jpg

I'll be interest to here comments on the Recon and might give it a try depending on how easy it is to get in Canada but at $60 US might order one from RMATV at some point cus IMO you need to buy and try them

I'm trying the 525 Cheater cus I want to compare and its EVENTUALLY going to get tested over the fall/winter in the PWN and varies PSI's.

The tread looks a little more spaced out than the shinko 505 to me. This would make it a better tire where I ride as you always have to deal with some mud.

I don't know why im posting in this thread, I run intermediate mx tires, they work/last best for me, I don't need sticky hybrid tires lol.

• Haha 1

I don't see that spacing difference that you all see. The 505 looks a little more open across the tread and nearly the same, or even tighter, radially from what I'm seeing. That same tightness radially is what gives it poor performance on loose downhills.

3 hours ago, highmarker said:

side by side the tread is shinko 505

I think you need to take a better look as they are not the same

2 minutes ago, filterx said:

tus_20_tir_rec_hyb-110_90_19-1925910001-505-hybrid-cheater-rear-tire.jpg

Looks like a 505 and a MT16 fornicated to produce the recon offspring. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the recon will shed mud better because of the more open side knobs, I should've been more specific.

The rows of tread are almost straight acrossed like a mt16, this setup clears mud better than the staggered pattern on the shinko 505.

I circled the staggered knobs on the 505, these make it plug up with mud IMO.

tire_LI (2).jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, filterx said:

tus_20_tir_rec_hyb-110_90_19-1925910001-505-hybrid-cheater-rear-tire.jpg

Yeah, the Recon has a 3-3-2 lug pattern vs the 2-2-3 lug pattern of the 505. The Recon also has the side lugs inline with the main lugs condensing it even more across compared to the 505 with staggered side knobs.  Eh, I'll be really interested to hear the ride reports.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1