New 350 EXC-F oil pump failure

jwegner

Hello, I’m new to this forum. I have a 2017 KTM 350 EXC-F w/217 miles on it. The oil pump failed and smoked my motor. I need a new head, valves, piston & rings, cam / cam chain, crank and oil pump. It’s bad luck.

I was wondering if 350sx-f parts will bolt on to the motor? I would like to do a big bore kit on the bike. Any suggestions on where to purchase the parts and keeping the parts list within reason / under $2,000. I really don’t care much for the street ability of the stock exc-f. That’s definitely not how I ride. The only reason why I have an exc-f is for staying legal on forest service roads.

Any info on complete rebuild kits out there that anyone knows of would be a huge help. I’m needing this bike up and going in 3 weeks for a Colorado trip.

IMG_0214.JPG

If you’re the original owner, take it to your dealer if you haven’t already. If your oil pump gears failed, KTM will likely help you if your dealer is proactive. 

Do a search here in this forum for “oil pump gears”...it’s a well documented issue. 

We had it happen on 2 of our ‘18’s. Fortunately caught it before the motors ate themselves. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Call Travis at Thumper racing, he will know what year model sxf parts are transferable, with only 3 weeks, this will be your full time job.

This time of year, might be hard to find a shop to complete in that time frame, if chose to go that route.

Yeah, its a known issue, on 3 model years it seems, ktm didn't recall, just hoping it makes it through warranty. Your dealer could have atleast contacted KTM, rather than telling you to F off.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I ended up going with a head, cams, oil pump parts and a few others from MotoSport, 2 exhaust valves and Cam Chain from Parts Giant (intake not in stock), and 2 intake and piston kit from Wiseco (exhaust valves not in stock).

Crank is shipped off for re-balancing.

Bike will be back together next weekend. It was definitely a pain to try and find everything last minute in order to get it ready for the ride in Colorado in 3 weeks. A friend is taking a 250L on the ride for a spare just in case. Hopefully, it stays in the trailer.

I’m going to figure out a way to get a 300XC-W plated here in Kansas. If anyone knows how to get a 300XC-W plated. I would appreciate the info.

Call Travis at Thumper racing, he will know what year model sxf parts are transferable, with only 3 weeks, this will be your full time job.
This time of year, might be hard to find a shop to complete in that time frame, if chose to go that route.
Yeah, its a known issue, on 3 model years it seems, ktm didn't recall, just hoping it makes it through warranty. Your dealer could have atleast contacted KTM, rather than telling you to F off.

I completely agree with you about the dealer. There’s a lot they could have done to help with the bike. I will go with Letko KTM in Kansas City on the new XC-W and the future KTM purchases.

I called KTM North America and they weren’t willing to do anything except for give me the run around. They kept expressing that the 6 month warranty had expired and there was nothing they could do. KTM said to have a dealer physically look at the bike, then call them and send off paperwork to maybe help out on the part that failed. Even if they did for anything (which is a 1% chance they would. It would have probably only been for the $85 or so, in oil pump parts.

They wanted me to haul my EXC-F from Ft. Riley to the KTM shop for review. Definitely, not worth my time for $85.

However, I was able to find 3 different places that had everything in stock. I got about 20 parts ordered. I’ll have my bike back together next Saturday. I’ll be able to get about 10hrs of seat time on it before the trip to make sure the bugs are worked out on it. If not, I’ll be riding a friends 250L.

That really sucks cratering your engine! I have the exact same bike with about the same miles, so I’m concerned about having the same problem if it’s a known issue. Any ideas on what should be done to prevent it?

I would definitely recommend taking a look at the oil pump. If not, be prepared to pay 3 grand. It sounds like I’m not the only one on here with these issues.

For me this bike always sits unless I’m going on a trip where I need to have a dual sport. This could have been my issue. I’m not too sure. I’ve always used Motorex oil, i change the oil and filter before and after winter. All my bikes get a change after 10hrs of riding except the Zuma and Harley. The exc has stayed in the garage, has been started regularly even if it hasn’t seen seat time. I just mainly ride the 450sxf or 300xcw. I usually put 50+hrs a year on each bike, except the exc.

I just wanted to express that it’s been maintained even though the miles and hours are so low. I’m definitely going to put some energy into getting this years XC-W plated when I pick one up the new one. I’m going to be putting this one up for sale after the Colorado trip, only if all the bugs are worked out of the bike. I can’t sell someone a mechanical nightmare. I don’t need that on my conscience.

I hope you don’t have the same issues as me. Happy Riding!

Hello, I’m new to this forum. I have a 2017 KTM 350 EXC-F w/217 miles on it. The oil pump failed and smoked my motor. I need a new head, valves, piston & rings, cam / cam chain, crank and oil pump. It’s bad luck.

I was wondering if 350sx-f parts will bolt on to the motor? I would like to do a big bore kit on the bike. Any suggestions on where to purchase the parts and keeping the parts list within reason / under $2,000. I really don’t care much for the street ability of the stock exc-f. That’s definitely not how I ride. The only reason why I have an exc-f is for staying legal on forest service roads.

Any info on complete rebuild kits out there that anyone knows of would be a huge help. I’m needing this bike up and going in 3 weeks for a Colorado trip.

IMG_0214.thumb.JPG.c8621534112b30168d48fad91a186898.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

My apologies everyone, 309 miles were on the bike when the oil pump failed and smoked the motor.

1 hour ago, jwegner said:

I called KTM North America and they weren’t willing to do anything except for give me the run around. They kept expressing that the 6 month warranty had expired and there was nothing they could do. KTM said to have a dealer physically look at the bike, then call them and send off paperwork to maybe help out on the part that failed. Even if they did for anything (which is a 1% chance they would. It would have probably only been for the $85 or so, in oil pump parts.

Yeah they are saying that you atleast need a willing dealer, but when speaking about a known defective part, that's been superseded to a different part because of the same failures, that opens up some leeway IMO. But 3 week deadline wouldn't have worked, anyway.

Husky has the crap slaves that have been failing for years, and they've done nothing about it, but not a catastrophic engine failure.

Anyway, the motors from my experience are pretty tight, thin and delicate on rebuild, definitely can take special techniques, or tools. much a precision press fit, and stuff so light weight, that can be easily damaged with wrong application.

• Like 1

I don’t feel like sifting thru all these replies but I have personal experience with same issue and the bike was out of warranty and ktm provided all the replacement parts and service under warranty. If your dealer is telling you to pound salt bring it somewhere else or get in touch with ktm North America and explain to them your situation

• Like 2