Beginner, no idea where to start

Hello guys, I’m completely new to this community and dirt bikes. I’ve been around them since I was small through relatives but never really drove them. And I’ve started to have a knack for these kinds of things. I feel like I’d enjoy just driving around the off-road trails at sunset through the power lines. Anyways, I’m a beginner and I’m 6’1 and 220lbs. I’m not sure what bike I’m looking for. But preferably something cheap. Around 100-750$. I plan to buy on Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, letgo, or offerup. and have found a few things. But I’m not sure what to look for or what to avoid. And the only thing I’ll be doing in this bike is off-road trails some rough and some smoother. Any thoughts?

5 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Hello guys, I’m completely new to this community and dirt bikes. I’ve been around them since I was small through relatives but never really drove them. And I’ve started to have a knack for these kinds of things. I feel like I’d enjoy just driving around the off-road trails at sunset through the power lines. Anyways, I’m a beginner and I’m 6’1 and 220lbs. I’m not sure what bike I’m looking for. But preferably something cheap. Around 100-750$. I plan to buy on Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, letgo, or offerup. and have found a few things. But I’m not sure what to look for or what to avoid. And the only thing I’ll be doing in this bike is off-road trails some rough and some smoother. Any thoughts?

As fun as they are...not a 2-stroke. 

CR230F or Yamaha TTR230. Trail bangin' 4-strokes that will let you grasp balance, clutch & throttle control. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Here is my advice. Find someone local that knows a lot about bikes and have them help you look at them. There are so many potential problems bikes can have. If you don't know what you are looking at you could have a money pit on your hands. Where I live $750 would by a bike in need of serious repair. Also factor in safety gear. Helmet, gloves, boots and probably some knee and elbow guards. 

For bikes look for a mild 4st. Crf230, tr230, xr200, xr250, ttr250. 

When you're ready to look at some bikes post up in the regional section where you live for help. There's plenty of guys that are willing to help new riders out. 

• Like 2

Here is my advice. Find someone local that knows a lot about bikes and have them help you look at them. There are so many potential problems bikes can have. If you don't know what you are looking at you could have a money pit on your hands. Where I live $750 would by a bike in need of serious repair. Also factor in safety gear. Helmet, gloves, boots and probably some knee and elbow guards. 
For bikes look for a mild 4st. Crf230, tr230, xr200, xr250, ttr250. 
When you're ready to look at some bikes post up in the regional section where you live for help. There's plenty of guys that are willing to help new riders out. 

Right, For now I’d get the bike and get equipment later. This might sound crazy but I did find a Honda 400EX motor stuck onto a Hyosung dirtbike body that’s a little beaten down for 400$. Any thoughts on that?

9 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Right, For now I’d get the bike and get equipment later. This might sound crazy but I did find a Honda 400EX motor stuck onto a Hyosung dirtbike body that’s a little beaten down for 400$. Any thoughts on that?

We call those Frankenbikes. The motor may be ok but the Chinese frame, suspension and components will not hold up. Plus you have to look at the build. A failed weld can lead to serious injury. Most back yard butcher bike builds don't turn out to well. 

There will be plenty of bikes out there. You just need to be patient for the right deal.

• Like 1

We call those Frankenbikes. The motor may be ok but the Chinese frame, suspension and components will not hold up. Plus you have to look at the build. A failed weld can lead to serious injury. Most back yard butcher bike builds don't turn out to well. 
There will be plenty of bikes out there. You just need to be patient for the right deal.

Right, I didn’t know that it sounds kinda cool. Despite the whole serious injury thing [emoji23]. But I’m going to keep looking and see what I can find.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:50 AM, EJOE said:

At least get a helmet , even  sh one , don't cheap out on your life man .