230 Sausage

Did we just lose a member?

HDR just posted yesterday. But if anyone could still comment on Thumper Talk beyond the grave it would be him.

• Like 7
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 11

Speaking of losing a member, I wonder what ever happened to GP (Glen). I hope the guy is alright.

Even though I have HDR blocked, I am relieved to see the dude is ok.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Goatse said:

Speaking of losing a member, I wonder what ever happened to GP (Glen). I hope the guy is alright.

Had the same thought, just looked up in the members section and he hasn't logged in since early June. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dirtbird said:

Had the same thought, just looked up in the members section and he hasn't logged in since early June. 

He’s around from what I hear - just not TTing anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

He pops in on KTMtalk from time to time

Probably driven off by the Beta TT "cult" members, Lol

Definitely have to be in the mood to engage on here and often leave common sense and rational thought behind! 

Not necessarily a good place for in depth analysis! 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Goatse said:

Same here!

I talk to Glenn on occasion and he is all good. He’s just not interested in the Beta TT forum, hence the no posting.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, firffighter said:

Not necessarily a good place for in depth analysis!

Everyone has bias and everyone has a pre conceived notion of how things are.

Two kinds of people post; those who want to look like they know it all and those who want to learn.

Glen brought some good solid info, but he also brought some bias he was not willing to discuss.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Everyone has bias and everyone has a pre conceived notion of how things are.

Two kinds of people post; those who want to look like they know it all and those who want to learn.

Glen brought some good solid info, but he also brought some bias he was not willing to discuss.

Well I agree and then again I don't. 

We right our opinions and we also right to help others. The difficult part is to understand knowledge, preferences and experience of other members. This comprehension takes time to build but most of us have an idea about each other without knowing each other in real life. 

Glenn was always looking at things as objectively as possible but according to his specifications. So this may be taken as a bias but it was clear. 

Another problem is that the brand is growing and many new people are coming. Some things that may look very normal to some of us, maybe look like a horror story to them and the same is happening perhaps to other brands. For example old KTM owners have not lost their sleep over the TPI problems (or inconsistency-not trying to bash a brand here) while new owners (I mean new to the brand) are making the most noise. 

If they are new to dirt bikes, they make even more noise however what we all old timers know is that if youre not break it, you won't learn. 

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

11 minutes ago, dirtbird said:

Glenn was always looking at things as objectively as possible but according to his specifications experience.

Experiences vary.

Glenn's suspension knowledge exceeds mine in many arenas.

Glenn lacks my knowledge of metrology.

My 4t theory is pretty good.

Working to learn more about 2t theory.

4 hours ago, Goatse said:

Me too. I don't wish HDR any ill will, but I can't stand reading his infinite posts. Glad he's okay.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Experiences vary.

Glenn's suspension knowledge exceeds mine in many arenas.

Glenn lacks my knowledge of metrology.

My 4t theory is pretty good.

Working to learn more about 2t theory.

If you can help in any way.... 

I am interested on measuring inside diameter of a hollow tube to μ accuracy (10-3 power mm). 

Also interested on measuring coefficient of friction of the said tube (which you may guessed already, is a fork upper). Might want to do that on a shock body (which is not any different really). 

This involves tribology as well and have some dusty books on the shelf... 

21 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

HDR just posted yesterday. But if anyone could still comment on Thumper Talk beyond the grave it would be him.

Wouldn't that be something. Dwayne Of The Dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Peter is/was not Hawaii Dirt Rider, he is still around.

We do have about a dozen members with 'Bowman' as part of their usernames.  Hopefully it wasn't one of them.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dirtbird said:

Well I agree and then again I don't. 

We right our opinions and we also right to help others. The difficult part is to understand knowledge, preferences and experience of other members. This comprehension takes time to build but most of us have an idea about each other without knowing each other in real life. 

Glenn was always looking at things as objectively as possible but according to his specifications. So this may be taken as a bias but it was clear. 

Another problem is that the brand is growing and many new people are coming. Some things that may look very normal to some of us, maybe look like a horror story to them and the same is happening perhaps to other brands. For example old KTM owners have not lost their sleep over the TPI problems (or inconsistency-not trying to bash a brand here) while new owners (I mean new to the brand) are making the most noise. 

If they are new to dirt bikes, they make even more noise however what we all old timers know is that if youre not break it, you won't learn. 

For me, the big part is the ability to look at things through another perspective and have an open discussion without it getting into insults and taking it personal. 

We all come to the table with various degrees of experience and knowledge base on the bikes and components. Then, there is a whole other level of experience in the field with seat time and riding slow - fast and everything in between along with various terrains. 

Some guys here seem to be strong in one and not the other, some have neither, some have both.

I enjoy the discussion with looking at things without blinders as to my own personal feelings as much as possible and can easily look at topics and play devil's advocate on both sides without it getting so crazy with personal attacks. Some are not capable of doing doing this at all which is the most frustrating part of this forum! 

Sometimes this forum is a helpful place where there's mature discussion, sometimes it feels like Twitter, which I'm not on, but hear horror stories. 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1