Posted (edited)

So I'm looking into getting a small dual sport for going to work and back, and some light off roading. Gonna put either Mitas e-07/e-07+ or Dunlop D605 tires on it regardless of what I get.

I'm looking between the Wr250r, the efi KLX 250, the CRF250l, and the DRZ400s/DR200.

First off, I know the DRZ400 is going to have more power and low end grunt thanks to the higher cc, but the lack of efi is turning me off of it. The wr250r seems really nice but also a bit too high strung for normal non-highway riding day to day. The crf250l would be the next best choice as it's not as high strung and definately time tested. But more recently I've been really looking into the klx250 because it was just updated with efi I think last year or the year before.

All the bikes look very appealing, all of them have goods and bads, and all of them will do what I want them to do. I just want to know everyone's opinions on the bikes, preferably comparisons if you've owned more than one of them. I'm going to get minimum a 2018 bike regardless of what I get, brand new as I don't feel like dealing with stuff going bad or wearing down from a used bike.

This is a dirt bike forum, but I feel my question fits here as all the bikes listed are heavily based on their off road only counterparts, and if need be I can take off unneeded bits and bobs and put on full knobbies.

Edit: as a side question, for mostly on road but still decent off road capabilities, what would you guys recommend between the Dunlop D605 and the Mitas e-07/e-07+?

Edit 2: I'm about 5 foot 10 and 160lb, coming from a 1987 yz125, I know a 4 stroke won't be the same etc etc. I have plenty of experience offroad, and enough on road to be comfortable enough either way on most bikes, and with enough throttle/brake/clutch control to stay mostly safe. I'll be riding mostly on paved roads to and from work, maybe 20 miles a day or so. Driveway is a total mess of loose gravel rocks and dirt, and I'd love to drive nearby to a local off roading park. I don't expect the new bike to do any better or worse than my old 125, but I do expect better fuel economy and easier throttle control. Oh, and I don't plan on racing, but being able to hold 80 mph without too much trouble would be nice.

Edit 3: Just for future, I'm not planning on riding at 80+ for an extended period of time, I just want to know that I can get there, so a lower cruising speed of 65-70 would be less stressful on the bike overall.

Edited by Harley Teter

At 80mph plus, you will want the DRZ 400 as a minimum. The smaller bikes are not going to like that speed.

drz is an old heavy pig but has the most power far and away.  wr250r is not at all "high strung".  It's very mellow, esp when compared to a old mx 2popper like ur riding now

the klx and crf i wouldn't bother with

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, xbobx said:

drz is an old heavy pig but has the most power far and away.  wr250r is not at all "high strung".  It's very mellow, esp when compared to a old mx 2popper like ur riding now

the klx and crf i wouldn't bother with

The klx250 seems like it'd be able to hold speed pretty easily, especially if I change the front sprocket up or down a tooth (can't remember which). And by "high strung" I meant it requires shorter maintenance periods.

This feedback is very important to me however, so thank you for replying.

Edited by Harley Teter

Cruising at 80 mph is a bit much on 650 class dual sports. The engines can do it, but the aerodynamics and rider comfort as well as stability are awful at that speed. With the 250s it's just not going to happen. You can do it barely on a 250 ninja but not a single cylinder dirt bike with half the horsepower. 55-60, on level ground, sure. But not 80.

42 minutes ago, nobade said:

Cruising at 80 mph is a bit much on 650 class dual sports. The engines can do it, but the aerodynamics and rider comfort as well as stability are awful at that speed. With the 250s it's just not going to happen. You can do it barely on a 250 ninja but not a single cylinder dirt bike with half the horsepower. 55-60, on level ground, sure. But not 80.

There are tons of videos on youtube of all these bikes hitting 80+mph. A few small power mods and a sprocket change and 80 would be easy. Rider comfort can be alleviated by an added wind deflector on top of the bars and smoother tires. And a Ninja 250 can reach well over 100 mph, so no idea what you're talking about on that one.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Colorado^ said:

KTM 690 / Husky 701 if you want to cruse at 80mph.

I don't want anything bigger than the DR400s, that's why I'm choosing from those bikes I listed. The 690 and 701 have too much power for me right now, and also out of my price range.

Edited by Harley Teter

15 minutes ago, Harley Teter said:

There are tons of videos on youtube of all these bikes hitting 80+mph. A few small power mods and a sprocket change and 80 would be easy. Rider comfort can be alleviated by an added wind deflector on top of the bars and smoother tires. And a Ninja 250 can reach well over 100 mph, so no idea what you're talking about on that one.

There's a big difference between hitting 80 (prob closer to 70 as most MC speedos are out) and cruising comfortably at that speed.  If you're tapped out at 80, your bike isn't going to last long riding around like that.

Also re-gearing a bike is a big compromise.  You'll loose some off road ability and take a significant hit on acceleration.

1 minute ago, Colorado^ said:

There's a big difference between hitting 80 (prob closer to 70 as most MC speedos are out) and cruising comfortably at that speed.  If you're tapped out at 80, your bike isn't going to last long riding around like that.

Also re-gearing a bike is a big compromise.  You'll loose some off road ability and take a significant hit on acceleration.

Well I really only want to be able to hit 80 so a lower speed will be more comfortable and fuel efficient to cruise at. As opposed to maxing out at 60.

Also I more want to know which bike is best overall, longest maintenance interval, parts price, tire size availability, etc.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Harley Teter said:

Well I really only want to be able to hit 80 so a lower speed will be more comfortable and fuel efficient to cruise at. As opposed to maxing out at 60.

Also I more want to know which bike is best overall, longest maintenance interval, parts price, tire size availability, etc.

You might want to check out "Riding with Tom" on YT.  He has a WR250R and has owned a KTM690.  He's an Aussie guy who does a lot of big dual sport trips.

Edited by Colorado^

Posted (edited)

Of the 250's the Yamaha is the better bike, but it's also priced accordingly.

The real 'time tested' bike is the KLX250 as it's been around forever, and is very reliable. If you look on th Kawasaki forums you'll see guys with well over 100,000 km on their KLX's. The Honda is a distant 3rd on the list of 250's. They had a chance to bring a decent bike to market, but it's a slow, heavy turd with lousy suspension, that's not as capable as the KLX which has already been around for many years.

Edited by Zomby woof

2 minutes ago, Zomby woof said:

Of the 250's the Yamaha is the better bike, but it's also priced accordingly.

The real 'time tested' bike is the KLX250 as it's been around forever, and is very reliable. If you look on th Kawasaki forums you'll see guys with well over 100,000 km on their KLX's. The Honda is a distant 3rd on the list of 250's. They had a chance to bring a decent bike to market, but it's a slow, heavy turd with lousy suspension, that's not as capable as the KLX which has already been around for many years.

Thank you, the most useful comment so far. (Not discounting the other comments of course.)

5 hours ago, Harley Teter said:

by "high strung" I meant it requires shorter maintenance periods.

wr-r has basically streetbike maint intervals--very long

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xbobx said:

wr-r has basically streetbike maint intervals--very long

Hmm, I'll look into that, thank you.

I'm more and more leaning towards the KLX however, and am starting to look more into what tires to get. Mefo Explorers seem pretty okay.

yup, u pay more for the wr-r bc it is the best of the small-bore ds bikes.  klx250 could be a solid bike but it'll feel slow compared to a wr250r--you'd be wringing it out hard if u could even get it to 80mph, which i doubt.  drz still the best of the mid-bore jap ds bike unless u want a crf450L, which is a new model for 2019.  crf450L is a bike u could consider "high strung" w its 600mi oil changes.

2 minutes ago, xbobx said:

yup, u pay more for the wr-r bc it is the best of the small-bore ds bikes.  klx250 could be a solid bike but it'll feel slow compared to a wr250r--you'd be wringing it out hard if u could even get it to 80mph, which i doubt.  drz still the best of the mid-bore jap ds bike unless u want a crf450L, which is a new model for 2019.  crf450L is a bike u could consider "high strung" w its 600mi oil changes.

Well I was hoping for a bike under $6k honestly, the Wr-r being a bit above that.

Just now, xbobx said:

find a used, low mi one.  its just an overall better bike than a klx

Perhaps, time will tell of course. Around my area I'd be lucky to find a bike for sale that isn't a cruiser, let alone any other style of bike.

unless u rly love the color lime green, lol

well, its better than no bike at all, but i'd pony up the extra $ for the yama if i were buying new