Hammy-56

'19 300RR fork servicing.

At some point soon I'd like to change the fluid in my forks. Neither the owner's manual or the service manual have any info, and the 2019 fork manuals have yet to be downloaded on the Beta site.

My google search has come up empty.

Ive always done my own wrenching, but I haven't messed with suspension nearly enough to be confident without a manual.

Anyone have a tutorial? 

Thanks.

Pretty sure 19's got the new OC forks with adjusters on the top.  Was wondering if the old fork cap wrench will work on the 19/2020 forks. 

• Like 1

I just unscrewed the top with a very well fitted slotted wrench. Drained, measured amount, then rinsed and refilled. 16 and 20 ounces.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ktm300 said:

Pretty sure 19's got the new OC forks with adjusters on the top.  Was wondering if the old fork cap wrench will work on the 19/2020 forks. 

I was also under the impression that the ‘19’s were the first year of the adjusters on top. 

I was also under the impression that the ‘19’s were the first year of the adjusters on top. 
They are
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

54 minutes ago, BassMan said:

I just unscrewed the top with a very well fitted slotted wrench. Drained, measured amount, then rinsed and refilled. 16 and 20 ounces.

You measure air chamber or oil level that should be the same on both forks. 

Also if you won't remove the base valve, you don't get all the old oil out. 

• Like 1

There are different levels of hardware in the two legs. Oil fill is by volume, not air gap as on conventional OC forks.

• Like 1

You measure air chamber or oil level that should be the same on both forks. 
Also if you won't remove the base valve, you don't get all the old oil out. 
I think the different amounts of oil are in relation to internal components which are different for each fork, one compression, the other rebound and from observation it was readily apparent that the volumes would be different. I work the forks up and down to get all the oil out. We are talking about the new OC separate function forks. I used clear Honda 5 wt, the original oil was blue. I will check and see if there is a blue tint to the oil this week to see if it was possible to miss any, but I have never experienced that even when changing seals and bushings.

The differences are:

a) in the rebound/midvalve piston where in the compression fork there is no rebound stack but a check valve and exactly the opposite on the rebound fork. Both forks have a base valve with a compression stack

and b) on the fork caps  where one has the preload adjuster 

By measuring air gap (or air volume) we adjust oil volume. 

BassMan measured oil quantity being sure that he emptied completely both forks for which please let me have my reservations. 

It's not that big deal since the old oil wasn't that bad but in terms of accuracy unless you strip and dry everything, you can't measure by mass. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, motoxgiant said:

Likely the wrong units 😉 but Beta lists the oil quantity as 510g.

So if you use a 10 wt instead of 5 you half that unit.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Being one's twice as heavy as the other-----Kidding of course.

Edited by widebear
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, motoxgiant said:

Likely the wrong units 😉 but Beta lists the oil quantity as 510g.

It's because every year - starting from 2013 - they try to be very accurate regarding bike mass 😉

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

speaking of the '19 OC's... does the Tusk 46/50mm cap wrench work with the Sachs cap? $50 for the Beta Sachs/Zoke wrench seems excessive.

bah, scratch that, looks like it's only an 8-point wrench where the Sachs needs 10-point.

Edited by typeone

My methods may suck but the forks feel a lot better. I am no expert and do not claim to be. I used the oil on some stubborn weeds and it took them out a lot better than my used transfluid. But, nothing beats used antifreeze for weed control around the house.

1 hour ago, BassMan said:

But, nothing beats used antifreeze for weed control around the house.

Bunny rabbits really dig the dandelion greens and raptors need to eat too. :thumbsup:

speaking of the '19 OC's... does the Tusk 46/50mm cap wrench work with the Sachs cap? $50 for the Beta Sachs/Zoke wrench seems excessive.
bah, scratch that, looks like it's only an 8-point wrench where the Sachs needs 10-point.
Slotted wrench and some tape. Then just snug them up. They aren't going anywhere once the top tripple is tightened.
  • Like 1

Following.  I have a 2019 300 with 50 hours.  How many hours on your bike?  I haven;t considered fork oil yet.  I wonder if our "new forks" have the anodizing problems.  Let us know.  

6 minutes ago, G-Berm said:

Following.  I have a 2019 300 with 50 hours.  How many hours on your bike?  I haven;t considered fork oil yet.  I wonder if our "new forks" have the anodizing problems.  Let us know.  

If you haven't looked yet, there's no time like the present. The issue will present itself immediately if you have 50 hour forks and it is there.

13 minutes ago, G-Berm said:

Only 10 hrs right now.  It wanting to change the fluid and check for issues sooner than later.