Alternative to Kid's MX Boots?

Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to MX boots for a 9 year old wearing a size 5 or 6 shoe?

Thanks to the help of the friendly people here I was able to track down a TTR 90 for my son's birthday, and also purchased all of the safety gear.  But, the boots (Fox Comp 5) are so bulky that he can't get them under the shift lever, and can't feel the rear brake.  He also said its hard to tell which part of his foot is over the pegs because they are so stiff.  The guy I bought the bike from had his kid wearing hunting boots from Tractor Supply for this exact reason.

Thanks!

I'd be very careful.  Ideally just have him get used to the fox boots.  hunting boots offer no ankle protection.  If if he's just puttering around its easy to get a stick at the wrong angle and break an ankle.  

Perhaps adjust the brake and shifter position to help a bit.  some like to ride with the shifter sitting on top of the boot in normal stance so you don't have to "feel it", you just know its there.  Pull it out and whack it down to downshift.

• Like 2

You have to break the boots in good. With new boots I literally sit there and bend them in every direction for as long as I can. Than do it again. He will start feeling the levers better after doing this. DO NOT SCRAP THE BOOTS. I did this for the same reason and ended up breaking tibia and fibula. 2 surgeries later and almost 3 years and my ankle still doesn’t feel back to normal.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AndrewK said:

Ask him to wear his boots around the house or out in the yard, one of my buddies wears his for yard work when they are new to break them in, probably looks ridiculous to the neighbors but hey whatever works ?

This ^^^

When my son was at that stage, he had trouble with the gear lever too, but then he crashed which bent the gear lever into a perfect position for him so we never repaired/replaced it ?

• Like 1