Kwota

Shortcut to switching off traction control on 2019 690s

Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

This isn't in the manual. I don't have the TC dongle.

I just figured out a way to turn off traction control at startup thats easier than the manual describes (but not as easy as the dongle). This allows you to basically fire up the bike and wheelie away, without having to do that brief stop to mash the TC button if you don't want TC on.

1. Walk up to your bike, put the key in, turn on the bike with the side stand down. Start it in neutral. Raise the side stand. 

2. While standing next to your bike, from rest, wind up a bit and give your bike a hard shove forward (of about 1 foot) and tap the front brake at the end of the shove. If you shoved hard and quickly enough, the big triangular ABS warning light by your speedo will turn off. You can now press the TC button on the handlebar switch to turn it off. Climb on. Now you can take your sweet time, adjust your helmet, goggles, gloves and gear, and casually exit with an effortless and mandatory wheelie off the line into the sunset, without having to do that annoying stop to button press mojo killer. I’m having a 100% success rate with this move.

I think this process tricks the TC part of the ECU since the wheel speed sensors and front ABS sensor all get activated in the shove/brake movement, tricking the bike into thinking that you've ridden it a short distance and stopped to turn things off.

Cheers

Edited by Kwota

Pressing the ABS button and TC button together after start-up for 3-5 seconds should have the ABS button blink and voila you are off abs+tc

OK the more that I've been riding and playing with this bike (5500km now) I've learned a little more about how to switch off the TC. Although that shove move can turn off the ABS lamp, I was wrong, I can switch off TC at startup like Augmach says. The confusion that I think most owners have about turning it off are about visual feedback or a misreading of the manual.

If you turn on the bike, start it, hold the TC switch for 5 long seconds you can turn it off immediately, but nothing visually happens to let you know that TC is off, until you ride it a short distance and you'll notice that only the ABS light goes off and the TC  light stays on.

Edited by Kwota

so i tried kwota's tc and pushed the tc button after starting for 5 seconds and wow my tc worked for the first time in months. rode for part of the day then the check engine light came on and tc no longer working?? went home and disconnected the battery and check engine light is now off but the tc trick after startup won't work??? very weird and frustrating

7 hours ago, Muskoka KTM said:

so i tried kwota's tc and pushed the tc button after starting for 5 seconds and wow my tc worked for the first time in months. rode for part of the day then the check engine light came on and tc no longer working?? went home and disconnected the battery and check engine light is now off but the tc trick after startup won't work??? very weird and frustrating

I sometimes kill the engine at a long traffic light to prevent overheating. In this scenario, I kill the engine with the kill switch, (and not the key) and I've noticed that when you restart the engine, the TC setting stays off.  If you turn the bike off via key then you have to turn off TC again at restart likely due to the fact that you're powering down the bike's brain when you switch off the key.

Muskoka: Have you checked your oil level? I'm wondering if you're low as it appears to me that the check engine light comes on when oil is low. I had to top mine up a healthy amount about 3500 km after its first oil change. This is normal, and due to the design of the engine; at high rpm there can be a decent amount of oil blown-by the piston rings ("blow-by").  Good news is that there's less on the 2019 than I was accustomed to on my 2010 due to the tighter tolerances in the new engine.

I've never managed to get TC to switch off at 3 seconds, its always closer to 5 seconds (I basically count like a kid in my head: "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand, four-one-thousand, five-one-thousand" with about 85% accuracy). Adrenaline seems to make time slow down, so you may not be holding it long enough or hard enough. You have to get it right on the rubber ridge on the button and really crush it.  

I posted in another thread as well, but on my bike, the duration of the button press is the controlling factor.  Needs to be 5 seconds, exactly.  Not 3 to 5 like the manual says.  Or around 5.  Has to be 5 on the nose.  Slightly less, or slightly longer than a 5 count, and it doesn't switch TC off/on, regardless of other conditions (at start up, after rolling away, clutch in, whatever).  On the other hand, with a precise 5 count button press, my bike switches reliably, regardless of other conditions.  Mashing the button is also not necessary.  If you push normally you can feel when the button makes contact, and it doesn't require that much pressure.