Anyone have success with a hitch rack for their XR? My tongue weight says 400lbs. The XR is 350(ish)lbs, and racks seem to be around 50-80lbs. Any suggestions on rack type, what’s the lightest rack there is, or is it just going to be too much weight. (It’s on a 2012 Mazda CX-9)

13 minutes ago, Motojunkie77 said:

Anyone have success with a hitch rack for their XR? My tongue weight says 400lbs. The XR is 350(ish)lbs, and racks seem to be around 50-80lbs. Any suggestions on rack type, what’s the lightest rack there is, or is it just going to be too much weight. (It’s on a 2012 Mazda CX-9)

i have a hitch carrier called the ‘switch hauler’ from a company called ‘all jacked up’ in cali...its for dirtbikes as it picks the bike up under the skid plate, which makes it handy for service work. i have an ‘03 4runner that i use to haul the bikes around (450X and XRR)- havent had any issues yet in 3yrs. the 4runner is a body-on-frame while your mazda is a unibody.

i would say your challenge is not going to be with which carrier or hauler you use, but whether your CX9 can safely handle 350-400lbs tongue weight

19 minutes ago, Motojunkie77 said:

The aluminum racks made by Black Widow are very light and affordable. I have three single carriers from them, and one double carrier. That's almost exclusively how I move my bikes around.

But I also am aware of the limitations of the vehicle that I am driving. For example, I will not ever tow with the double carrier on my wife's Land Rover. The front end just gets to light. 

On my Silverado 2500 HD, my rear end was sagging a bit. So this afternoon I am installing airbags.

I also have a class 6 hitch so I am never afraid of it breaking. You should remember that the weight on the receiver can double or triple when hitting a bump.

20190817_221646.jpg

• Like 2

IMG_5721.thumb.JPG.5fc863b26ffb2ed27ef5c1dd00abe384.JPG

IMG_5720.thumb.JPG.e701072d6397ece2868e759caeee582c.JPG

I’ve used both of these with pretty good success the aluminum one is from harbor freight. Pretty light and cheap. The versahaul is much nicer but kind of a pain to load bike by myself. I’d recommend either of them

Edit : aluminum one is about 35 pounds. Versahaul is about 80

• Like 2

i have a hitch carrier called the ‘switch hauler’ from a company called ‘all jacked up’ in cali...its for dirtbikes as it picks the bike up under the skid plate, which makes it handy for service work. i have an ‘03 4runner that i use to haul the bikes around (450X and XRR)- havent had any issues yet in 3yrs. the 4runner is a body-on-frame while your mazda is a unibody.
i would say your challenge is not going to be with which carrier or hauler you use, but whether your CX9 can safely handle 350-400lbs tongue weight

I’ve towed a couple different enclosed trailers and it seems to be ok, but I’m not sure how close it got to the 400lb tongue weight. I really wasn’t sure if the manufacturers put a big cushion on there as I’d be getting really close to the Max tongue weight.
IMG_5721.thumb.JPG.5fc863b26ffb2ed27ef5c1dd00abe384.JPG

IMG_5720.thumb.JPG.e701072d6397ece2868e759caeee582c.JPG

I’ve used both of these with pretty good success the aluminum one is from harbor freight. Pretty light and cheap. The versahaul is much nicer but kind of a pain to load bike by myself. I’d recommend either of them

Edit : aluminum one is about 35 pounds. Versahaul is about 80

So it seems I’d have to go with an aluminum one so that I can keep it under 400lbs
  • Like 1

I have a bike carrier and it works. But I am always scared that I lose my bike going through dips because it is shaking a lot.

I rather use a trailer *scared if not*

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kai.XR650L said:

I have a bike carrier and it works. But I am always scared that I lose my bike going through dips because it is shaking a lot.

I rather use a trailer *scared if not*

i can understand that, when i got mine i was concerned as well, but the one i have is pretty heavy duty and steel, i just take it easy when driving and check the nuts and tie downs and things have always stayed tight. im sure some of them, like a cheap aluminum chinese carrier w a loaded XRR would be a bad idea

• Like 1

i can understand that, when i got mine i was concerned as well, but the one i have is pretty heavy duty and steel, i just take it easy when driving and check the nuts and tie downs and things have always stayed tight. im sure some of them, like a cheap aluminum chinese carrier w a loaded XRR would be a bad idea
Mine is made out of steel, but it still shakes a lot. I do not trust those carriers. Might be just me. I like my bike to much and do not want to loose it on the highway ;)
  • Like 1

Mine is made out of steel, but it still shakes a lot. I do not trust those carriers. Might be just me. I like my bike to much and do not want to loose it on the highway default_wink.gif&key=56b691046144ecb2770ec5a9cfb5efddcddfe1189ff6d027541fea22773efed4

Eh I have drove a 100 miles to the track and back about 40 times now and my bike has never moved. I use ratchet straps and the only way that’s coming off is if I have a much bigger problem.
  • Like 1

no problem, but understand there are a lot of hitch carriers out there- they are all not the same. mine doesnt move around too much because the bolt threads into the hauler itself which eliminates rattles and movement. if you buy a quality sturdy model you have no worries. there are videos of people testing/driving offroad with a bike on the hitch and it stays put. not having a trailer to deal w is pretty nice for my needs 

my concern is more getting rear ended- ive added reflective caution stripes and going to get a license plate / brake light to aid visibilty

• Like 1

Where are you from

Be careful with those aluminum harbor freight ones. There are plenty of reports of them breaking where they go into the reciever. Aluminum does not have a terribly long fatigue life when you bend it like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nobade said:

Be careful with those aluminum harbor freight ones. There are plenty of reports of them breaking where they go into the reciever. Aluminum does not have a terribly long fatigue life when you bend it like that.

the insert is steel on the harbor freight ones

• Like 2

Yep. No issues with the latest version of HF carriers. I have had five XR's, none approached 350lbs. What the heck have you added to that thing? XR-L maybe?

• Like 1

Yep. No issues with the latest version of HF carriers. I have had five XR's, none approached 350lbs. What the heck have you added to that thing? XR-L maybe?

Yes it’s an XR650l.....aka the pig. 349lbs.

Where are you from

I live in the Philadelphia are