2008 KTM 450 Exc Wiring HELP!!

I got a steal on it but of course with good steals there's always some catch. Well this one the wiring is completely shot. The previous owner attempted to wire a new Baja headlight he also installed a dc conversion kit on here. The bike runs like a dream when it kick start it haha. Here are the issues the headlight won't work. I just installed a new battery today and everything went fine. I tried to use the E Start again then it wouldn't turn over. I had to kick it. My question to you guys is that I want to rewire this whole bike what's the easiest way? Can I just buy all the OEM wiring harnesses and disconnect the current ones my reason being is because the wiring is so mangled and dirty and random wires sticking all over. So yeah if anyone can point me in the right direction. I would highly appreciate it. I just want to set it up stock.

Ya I’d strip the plastics n tank etc then the wiring that you have replacements for if not all. Check/test over the after market stuff while it’s fairly bare/clean for other wiring issues. Install new harness properly with things tied back in proper places so they don’t wear thru the outer sheathing and go bare and cause future issues basically.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the 09 530 and the DC conversion was a must do project, especially if you have a fan or some big lights.   My questions are more basic.   Do you have a multi-meter and do you have any idea how to test for voltage or continuity?    Do you understand the difference between AC and DC?    I was lucky, I grew up with a brother who worked on Marine radars in the field and color TVs right after getting out.  

I had the 09 530 and the DC conversion was a must do project, especially if you have a fan or some big lights.   My questions are more basic.   Do you have a multi-meter and do you have any idea how to test for voltage or continuity?    Do you understand the difference between AC and DC?    I was lucky, I grew up with a brother who worked on Marine radars in the field and color TVs right after getting out.  

I do not have any of that. I can buy one tho but I wouldn’t know what to do. what’s can I do to get my head light working ?

If you lived in So. Cal you could bring it to me.  But I have lived in Moorestown, NJ and there is no way in this world I am ever going back.  If your system has the DC Mod then it should be producing a fair amount of DC voltage.   You could run your headlight right off the battery and bypass the stock wiring.  Failing that I suggest you find someone that has the meter and the know how to use it.  Otherwise, your just shooting into the dark I am afraid.   

• Like 1

Oh yeah NJ sucks big time I’m not to far for Moorestown. Their are no trails out here all trails are illegal. So it’s always sketchy when you go out on a trail ride. My system does have the DC MoD. It’s Just idk if this guy installed it correctly. I just want my headlight to work haha I’ve been using a flash light when driving around town. At night. Also what areas should check with a meter my friend is a mechanic I’ll ask him