Sign in to follow this  

HELP !!!

Please somebody get me through this. 86' xr200r ...I have  attempted  numerous times  to get  the right side  cover  back on  But I just cannot get it to go. I've read several posts that talk about the decompression mechanism and how to get it  lined-up and back on but somewhere I read that you had to lineup 3 punch  marks, case,shaft and the decomp cam.For the  life  of  me I (seems to be 1 spline off) can't get all 3 of them to lineup. The cases have not been split so the kicker shaft has not moved... Just did top end and a clutch.

HELP

Thx in advance for any  and  all advice 

Never actually had to do the clutch it was in good shape...found an ex- honda tech. to fix the case cover issuue... seems you have to hold your mouth just right.

New issue is finding an individual head cover gasket...none of the "complete" top end gasket sets seem to include it,know of a supplier?

On 8/21/2019 at 3:14 PM, ottonobetter said:

Please somebody get me through this. 86' xr200r ...I have  attempted  numerous times  to get  the right side  cover  back on  But I just cannot get it to go. I've read several posts that talk about the decompression mechanism and how to get it  lined-up and back on but somewhere I read that you had to lineup 3 punch  marks, case,shaft and the decomp cam.For the  life  of  me I (seems to be 1 spline off) can't get all 3 of them to lineup. The cases have not been split so the kicker shaft has not moved... Just did top end and a clutch.

HELP

Thx in advance for any  and  all advice 

Yes the right side cover can be a PITA. If it was just removed then it will slip back with some finesse. Don't need to fuss with aligning dots on the kicker shaft unless more was done.  My method:

The compression release lever must be down when sliding the cover on. That is so its follower can clear the cam on the kicker shaft. I usually disconnect the CR by unbolting the lever from the shaft and then use a small pair of channel locks or Vise Grips to rotate the shaft CCW while sliding the cover onto the case.  The case should close tight with hand pressure, do not use the bolts to close the side cover.