Anyone know what this is (switch) 250 EXC 6-D

I can't figure out what this is (attached image) - just purchased 2013 250 EXC 6-D - looks like a map switch but - carb, so no.

Also - info panel (dash) is not working - does it have an internal battery or some common fault I could know about - so have somewhere to start.

Thanks all

A.

switch.jpg

15 hours ago, Andrew Boundy said:

Boo AVR - gracias amigo - Not familiar with CPU but I am new to this ? - what does that do?

CPU- Central Processing Unit.  Same as ECU- Electrical Control Unit.  It controls your ignitions and fuel.  The dual switch allows you to choose between a full, hard hitting power characteristic and a softer map, less hit.  The soft map is used in rocky, root infested areas.  Play around with the different maps and you will figure out which is appropriate for a given situation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gflo said:

CPU- Central Processing Unit.  Same as ECU- Electrical Control Unit.  It controls your ignitions and fuel.  The dual switch allows you to choose between a full, hard hitting power characteristic and a softer map, less hit.  The soft map is used in rocky, root infested areas.  Play around with the different maps and you will figure out which is appropriate for a given situation.

Gflo - thanks very much. As I am new to the bike (and sport - coming from ADV) - so I am going to leave it on 2 for a while then try the 1 when I'm a little more confident. Thanks again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gflo said:

Considering he has a carb, all it does is change ignition mapping...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, RichBaker said:

Considering he has a carb, all it does is change ignition mapping...

Didn’t know what it was considering it is a model in a foreign country and he was a new rider and may have been unfamiliar with the specific model designations.  Just trying to cover the bases.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2strokes_rule said:

Yes, it has a battery. I'd start there since it's 6-7 years old. 

@2strokes_rule - thanks so much man - I got a battery and it's all fixed now with 5 minutes of work - really appreciate it - not in the manual interestingly. A.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It just retards or advances the ignition, so what you will feel is that you won't feel anything. Its pretty useless and considering the price for that switch I'd say it just makes KTM happy ?

I'll just say, it seems the more spot on you have your jetting, the more you'll notice any difference. I notice the difference between the 2 maps the most in things like ball bearing rocks, wet/slippery conditions, leaves covering the trail, stuff like that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Trailryder42 said:

I'll just say, it seems the more spot on you have your jetting, the more you'll notice any difference. I notice the difference between the 2 maps the most in things like ball bearing rocks, wet/slippery conditions, leaves covering the trail, stuff like that.

My 15 and 17 (keihin) were jetted very well. I only noticed the difference with the red spring in first and second gear. In my opinion its useless and charging 90 bucks for the switch is theft.

But if you like it, no problem ?

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

My 15 and 17 (keihin) were jetted very well. I only noticed the difference with the red spring in first and second gear. In my opinion its useless and charging 90 bucks for the switch is theft.

But if you like it, no problem ?

I agree about the switch. When I was looking around for a switch to put on my xcw, I saw that and thought "no freakin' way".

3 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

I agree about the switch. When I was looking around for a switch to put on my xcw, I saw that and thought "no freakin' way".

Imagine someone totally technically unaware sees the "mapping switch" in the PP book. It suggests to be a great thing, a must have on a modern bike. In fact it is the most simple switch on earth. An on/off switch with two wires. Yes its design is cool, no doubt. But other than this its not better than my 5 buck super primitive on/off switch. It worked for years until I finally decided I don't need it.

I know many riders who have such a switch and are happy with the results but I dare say the vast majority says there is not much difference. Especially if you compare it with the Sherco or 4 strokes that have one. On my GG it makes a lot more difference than on the KTM but still not enough in my opinion...