Sign in to follow this  

2013-2018 ktm450sxf, same pistons?

Hi guys, multiple piston companies are saying these models take the same piston. Is that correct with the engine changes made in 2016?

If it is a reputable company like Wiseco, etc. why would they say that if it wasn't true?

If it is a reputable company like Wiseco, etc. why would they say that if it wasn't true?

My issue is that some reputable companies are saying they are, one is saying they aren’t. And the company that is saying they aren’t is say the 16 piston is different to the 17-18, but the 19 is the same as the 17-18??

My problem is I have a piston from my local distributor who says the piston I have is fine for a 13-18. It happens to be from the above reputable manufacturer that said the above. ?‍♂️

Why not ask your local KTM dealer if they can confirm fitment by the OEM part numbers?

Good suggestion mate, I just checked and oem part numbers are the same all the way from 2013-2019. JE thinks there was a change from 17...[emoji106]

5 hours ago, mbw479 said:

Good suggestion mate, I just checked and oem part numbers are the same all the way from 2013-2019. JE thinks there was a change from 17...emoji106.png

If the part numbers are the same, then it should be the same part.  Obviously there might be a manufacturing change in that time period, but if the OEM manufacturer says it's interchangeable, then it'll fit.  Generally if there's an actual change to a part (either supplier or specification), it'll be noted as a superseded part.

Now, an aftermarket part manufacturer might've changed things mid years to accommodate for metallurgy, marketing trends or other reasons.. but for the most part, they should mirror OEM standards.  If not, you might want to reconsider purchasing anything from them and go see the dealer.

I believe the construction around the wrist pin was changed at one point to allow for better lubrication of the small end while the outside dimensions stayed the same.

Edited by Rembrand

I believe the construction around the wrist pin was changed at one point to allow for better lubrication of the small end while the outside dimensions stayed the same.

Same part number 13-19

Just to add to this conundrum, JE have said the head design changed in 2016 so the piston top (squish) had to be changed to match. Wiesco say the change didnt matter so they still use the same pistons from 13-19......Sounds like JE have done their homework. 

The head changed in 16, je and cp changed their pistons to match the new shape. The others didn’t.