Ethylene/Propylene, does it really matter?

My "18" YZ250X manual says to use ethylene based coolant with corrosion inhibiters, I came across a free jug of engine ice which is propylene based....I know that when in doubt follow manual instructions but I thought I'd see what you guys know or think. I read a lot of reviews on the stuff and they are 98% good, can I use it?

IMG_2301.JPG

You can use it.  I'd flush everything out good first as I never trust mixing coolants even when they are claimed to be compatible. 

Just know that Engine Ice is marketing BS.  Propylene glycol has less cooling capacity than good old Ethylene Glycol.   So it doesn't cool as well.   It does have the advantage of being non-toxic and some motorsports sanctioning bodies require it or straight water.  So Propylene Glycol has it's uses.  Where it becomes marketing BS is when Engine Ice sells it pre-diluted for $22 per 1/2 gallon.   When you consider that's only 1/4 gallon Propylene Glycol, you are paying $88 per gallon for Propylene Glycol.   You can go to any auto parts store and buy Sierra Brand Propylene Glycol coolant for $17 per gallon.  So anyone who has a need to run Propylene Glycol, don't be a sucker.

For anyone who wants to run Ethylene Glycol, Prestone's AF2000 (not pre-mixed) or AF2100 (pre-mixed) is what you want.  It has no silicates or phosphates and is available everywhere cheap.

Doc

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

The main difference between propylene glycol and ethylene is the level of toxicity. Propylene glycol has a very low toxicity, which is why it is also found in cosmetics and personal care products, whereas ethylene glycol is poisonous and must be handled with caution to restrict any human or animal exposure. To my knowledge there is no cooling disadvantage between the two.

Edited by Doug.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Doug. said:

The main difference between propylene glycol and ethylene is the level of toxicity. Propylene glycol has a very low toxicity, which is why it is also found in cosmetics and personal care products, whereas ethylene glycol is poisonous and must be handled with caution to restrict any human or animal exposure. To my knowledge there is no cooling disadvantage between the two.

From the same site you got this from ....

The difference between Propylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol in antifreeze comes down to both toxicity levels and efficiency of performance. Ethylene glycol possess far superior heat transfer properties whereas Propylene Glycol carries a very low toxicity. 

Doc

8 hours ago, 450Ruf said:

Good ole water is the best for cooling. Using a 50/50 cools and prevents rust and corrosion.

What he said.

I've researched this to death trying to get the CMA to change it's rules.  Water actually does have more thermal capacity than either type of glycol but will boil sooner, freeze, and corrode things.  With a high concentration of Propylene glycol you can have a really high boiling point but you can still over heat your engine.  But. tour engine is in more danger if it doesn't have coolant because it all boiled off.  It's a ballance.  The two glycols can be mixed fine.  Both can be topped up with water if you suddenly find you're low.  I use Propylene in about a 60/40 mix because it doesn't have the same crappy residue on your hands and tools, washes off better, isn't as slippery when spilled.  I use it in all my bikes; street, road race, dual sport, dirt bike (yz250fx).  I also use an overflow bottle on all my bikes so that I still have coolant after the engine cools down.

Edited by Z1RK
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1