Sign in to follow this  

'19 250xc-f Rear Drain Plug

Trying to do first service, any idea how I'm supposed to get the rear oil drain plug off? More importantly torqued back on; the socket barely fits by itself20190821_195346.jpeg20190821_195408.jpeg

Yep .. 350 too.  Worst design ever!

I bought a small wrench to socket thing that worked out and you can use a torque wrench on it.

Even had to grind that a little to make it fit.   

Z_Czpufo5oy.jpg

• Like 2

That's kind of what I was picturing that I neeed, I'll have to go find one of those. Thanks!

Yep .. 350 too.  Worst design ever!
I bought a small wrench to socket thing that worked out and you can use a torque wrench on it.
Even had to grind that a little to make it fit.   
Z_Czpufo5oy.jpg.9ebdffa7972e6cef0136dc333827c43a.jpg

Just grind a 13mm ring spanner to fit

• Like 3

Since I put a skid plate on my bike I have been using the oil screen as a drain with the bike leaned over. Works for me.

• Like 1

I must have weird wrenches. I use an open end wrench and take small turns. Sure it take 2x as long as a socket which is 2 minutes???

• Like 1

Since you are looking for the proper torque value, I agree with grinding down the socket... or if you want to keep your shiny socket intact, get a cheap one and grind that down so the torque wrench will fit in the space allowed.  Or you can use the extender posted by Steve 841 -- use it at a 90 degree angle to the torque wrench (if possible) to get the correct torque, or do the reduction/calculations based on length of the extender.  

Edited by DGXR

Torque is important, but it doesn't take too much intelligence guided by experience to get it tightened properly by hand with an open-end wrench. It's just a drain plug, it's only job it to not leak, it's not holding on some critical functional part.

Put a new copper or aluminum washer on it and tighten it good and tight, but remember it threads into aluminum, so don't tighten it like it's an axle nut. Tighten it like it's a case screw, then add just a little more. Check for leaks, slightly tighten more if it leaks. No need to buy or modify tools.

Edited by rodcrank
  • Like 6

The only use of a torque wrench for most applications is to ensure the interfaces aren't damaged by over tightening.

Unless you do do the extension calculations correctly using a torque wrench and extender could cause damage. Most of us that aren't OCD use a wrench I assume.

Yes lol already gone and changed it with a normal spanner wrench. Just snug and not leaking and I'll check on the rides.

None the less, stay away from gazzilan teeth New! Craftsman 19pc Universal Socket and Ratchet Set 3/8” Drive that act as they can be used on either Metric or SAE fasteners (or the other cheap crap). I suggest always try to find 6 point sockets, combination wrenches etc. 12 point sockets and wrenches especially the cheap plated tools will possibly round off your fasteners.

Just remember with torque wrenches: extensions decrease the true torque, that crowfoot tool shown will effect the torque too. But we all do what we do to use a tool to make it happen. The goal is to not strip the threads on the casings or the fastener(s). I do suggest last but not least buying a extractor socket set, ya never know when you'll need it or when your friends will need your help with a rounded off bolt head or nut. I know I said don't buy cheap tools but HF #67894  9 Pc 3/8 in. Drive Metric Bolt Extractor Socket Set works perfect, best price in town too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sorbales said:

The offset extension doesn't alter torque, if used at 90°. 

You are right. My thoughts come from Trade School and Naval engineering mechanics techniques and basic principles of engineering tool use.