Sign in to follow this  

This bolt/screw on triple clamp is drilled through, why?

Bike: 2016 KTM Freeride 250R

The bolt/whatever that thing is that is zoomed into.... a colleague who saw my bike says that has been drilled through and that it's supposed to be solid.

It's supposed to be solid is it not?

I am the 3rd owner of this bike and the bike has had some mods done to it. I am also new to these bikes and did not realize that it had been drilled through.

Is this a problem? Why would anyone have drilled through?

Unfortunately I don't have the vocabulary to describe this properly and so could not find any answers using search.

Please provide some insight.

front.jpg

front zoomed.jpg

3 hours ago, hezzdown said:

Vent hose from the tank maybe?

Yep, tank vent hose for sure. We supply our KTM triple clamps with a hollow stem bolt for this reason. No problem with it being hollow, it doesn't support much load so long as the upper clamp bolt is torqued correctly.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LuxonMX said:

Yep, tank vent hose for sure. We supply our KTM triple clamps with a hollow stem bolt for this reason. No problem with it being hollow, it doesn't support much load so long as the upper clamp bolt is torqued correctly.

The issue is with the bikes that have a steering lock (EXC, Freeride) as there is a slot in the steering stem for the lock. When fuel overflows it will go directly to the steering head bearings and wash all the grease out.

Michael

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Drehwurm said:

The issue is with the bikes that have a steering lock (EXC, Freeride) as there is a slot in the steering stem for the lock. When fuel overflows it will go directly to the steering head bearings and wash all the grease out.

Michael

Most of the gas should go straight down the stem and not through the slot and into the bearing, but it can happen to some extent. I wouldn't worry about much it if you're doing regular maintenance on the bike, though.

• Like 1

Interesting. Thanks all for the answers.

When I got the bike the previous owner had attached a 2 inch long piece of fuel line onto the vent port on the gas tank cap which I found odd, I suppose I should improve things by using a longer venting line and routing it to that drilled hole on the steering, deep enough that gas won't leak around the steering stem.