What are the best used Dual Sport models to convert into a scrambler style?

Looking for 400-650cc, decent Highway Speed (cruise around 65-70 mph), Low Maintance, good MPG, can handle long distance rides (150 mile day ride), Very Good on fire roads, decent single track, can handle occasional sand and rocks no problem, lighter weight,

Currently deciding between: drz400 and 650, KLR650, XR400R 600R and 650R,

Edited by Rorylapham
more info

19 hours ago, Rorylapham said:

Yes, something like this

1C06BE7C-18DD-4A6D-9E9A-121D14F759D4.jpeg

From what I found on the INTERWEBB that particular build ("CRD #62" by Café Racer Dreams MOTOR CO. Madrid ESPANIA) started out as a NX650 Honda Dominator {European market} They have a ton of builds on there website [LOTS OF COOL IDEAS] from BMW, Harley, Kawi, Guzzi, Ossa, Triumph, and Yamaha but Interestingly no Suzuki. The next build listed on there site "CRD #63" is based on a XR600       https://www.caferacerdreams.es/moto/crd63-cafe-racer-honda-xr600/   here are some  pics of it 1846810312_CRD63.jpg.4bbbf9367b6f212491d68e008ace3ef6.jpgCRD63.jpg.da5b3c47d9785aa8ad82de68d7dc8841.jpg1274158258_CRD63.jpg.549602d58fb6cfbe2446988b7bd06d4f.jpg                                                        I like the 2 tone paint scheme on the tank, it reminds me of an old bultaco or montessa, but I don't think that supertrapp muffler would last long with the wheel bottoming out on it! Personally I like XRs, they are simple, dependable and maybe more importantly ABUNDANT. I wouldn't go smaller than a 500 if you really plan on wringing it out @ 65-70 MPH for very long though. Just remember that the bigger (heavier) you go the harder those single tracks will be. looks like a cool project! GOOD LUCK!!!      P.S. The crew @ CaféRacerDreams is pretty impressive, check out this 2005 Honda CG125 build on a 1938 Zundapp theme complete with a girder fork W/ disc brake CRD33.jpg.8afbff83ec98e989978883406443f858.jpg 

Edited by 00boob
  • Like 1

I've researched this myself many times as I like the look.  Any of the mentioned bikes would be great:

drz400 DR650, KLR650, XR400R 600R and 650R, XR650L

It seems to me the hardest part is getting a tank and seat that works on the particular bike.  I've seen kits for the KLR but I'm too cheap to buy one and do it.

I bought a Yamaha 78 Sr500 for 300 bucks and am transforming it as we speak, Into a scrambler. Fresh top end, The bottom end is Bomb Proof, will get 80,000 miles and yes I have seen many with that many miles, on these bikes with all the ball bearings they used, Instead of roller bearings used nowadays. Spoke wheels from the XS650 drop right in, and using shinko block tread tires. Will run with-out a battery if need be, But I will have a Lipo battery for weight reduction. All lighting will be LED, New solo seat with a new welded in rear seat hoop, Hoo's header & pipe with a cone Engineering silencer, Bike will be white powder coat for frame, tank, and fenders, with vintage Red yz block graphics on tank. These bikes handle Fantastic! Lots have been converted to Flat Track bikes, This bike will be used Primarily for roosting and sliding around on gravel roads and some 2 tracks for exploring. Not a Bike for the whoops, Jumps. or real nastiness for sure, this motor has a heavy crank, So tons of torque. Should be cheap fun when it's done. And look somewhat close to what is pictured below. Cheers Scrambler.jpg.9d70407134efbcbf5ec04e1762ae1980.jpg    

Edited by pecor
  • Like 3

I bought a Yamaha 78 Sr500 for 300 bucks and am transforming it as we speak, Into a scrambler. Fresh top end, The bottom end is Bomb Proof, will get 80,000 miles and yes I have seen many with that many miles, on these bikes with all the ball bearings they used, Instead of roller bearings used nowadays. Spoke wheels from the XS650 drop right in, and using shinko block tread tires. Will run with-out a battery if need be, But I will have a Lipo battery for weight reduction. All lighting will be LED, New solo seat with a new welded in rear seat hoop, Hoo's header & pipe with a cone Engineering silencer, Bike will be white powder coat for frame, tank, and fenders, with vintage Red yz block graphics on tank. These bikes handle Fantastic! Lots have been converted to Flat Track bikes, This bike will be used Primarily for roosting and sliding around on gravel roads and some 2 tracks for exploring. Not a Bike for the whoops, Jumps. or real nastiness for sure, this motor has a heavy crank, So tons of torque. Should be cheap fun when it's done. And look somewhat close to what is pictured below. Cheers Scrambler.jpg.9d70407134efbcbf5ec04e1762ae1980.jpg    
Got a current pic ?
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JefeRotacion said:

I mean, a scrambler is a street bike built for some light dirt action. Why eff around? If i wanted a scrambler only one bike would do. Seriously.

It’s partly a diy custom art project my friend, the exterior would be classic looking while the mechanics function for 50/50 on/off road use.

• Like 1