The Randall

Thoughts on your Athena GET ECU experience for your 500 EXC-F

I just picked up a slightly used '18 500 EXC-F w/ only 80 miles on it. Yeah it's really freakin' corked up and I cant let it stay that way. I've already ordered a FMF 4.1 RCT, and smog delete. Been doing some research on the JD, KTM & Husky, Vortex, and the GET ECU. From what I've seen it seems like the GET ECU is next level over the others. As I'll be using my bike for camping dual sporting, over mountain passes with varying temps, humidity etc; I like that it has a barometric pressure sensor that will adjust for it all. Hopefully that will aid in gas mileage as well. I also like that you can buy a separate TC knob you can mount to the bars and plug into the ECU with something like 10 TC settings (overkill yes). I do intend to have two solid maps I can use with the included switch and not adjust much at all. Slavens claims to be the exclusive distributor in the US and states that he will include two maps in the price of the unit after consulting with the purchaser and their intended use of the bike it's being installed for.

I was thinking about the Vortex too. Have only discovered one negative about it from the K&H guy questioning lean at higher RPM's on some if not all of the maps. Do you believe that? Not sure if I do as Vortex is used by many prominent race teams, and why would they screw something up like that if they have the brain power not to? Other than that it's plug/play after initial setup. Seems much easier but may leave some on the table over the GET. Perhaps it's negligible.

Anybody who cares to share their experience and/or opinion in the GET ECU please fire away...?

And great site, just joined. Checked it out a few times but haven't had a thumper since my '07 450 EXC I had a long time ago.

GET-RX1-EVO-ECU-new.jpg

68-6901.jpg

• Like 1

I think the traction control is a gimmick. It is called throttle control and it happens in your right wrist. 

Either the GET or the Vortex work well. The Vortex works perfectly with no gimmicks out of the box for plug and play. No extra updates necessary, no extra tuning necessary just leave it on the best performance setting it came with. It runs so well that I didn’t bother buying the map switch. 

I do not believe the KTM/Husky sales/guy he will say anything to sell you his BS. 

• Like 2

I have a '19 500 and have tried both the GET and Vortex on it. You can't go wrong with either one.

I wouldn't put to much weight on the K&H guys negative Vortex comments.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

I think the traction control is a gimmick. It is called throttle control and it happens in your right wrist. 

Either the GET or the Vortex work well. The Vortex works perfectly with no gimmicks out of the box for plug and play. No extra updates necessary, no extra tuning necessary just leave it on the best performance setting it came with. It runs so well that I didn’t bother buying the map switch. 

I do not believe the KTM/Husky sales/guy he will say anything to sell you his BS. 

I'm undecided about the TC until I try it on the dirt. I remember hearing the same sentiment for sport bikes when TC came to market. The K&H guy is just flat out weird.

1 hour ago, bigred460 said:

I have a '19 500 and have tried both the GET and Vortex on it. You can't go wrong with either one.

I wouldn't put to much weight on the K&H guys negative Vortex comments.

Did you keep one or the other?

43 minutes ago, The Randall said:

I'm undecided about the TC until I try it on the dirt. I remember hearing the same sentiment for sport bikes when TC came to market. The K&H guy is just flat out weird.

You might check if it uses a rpm ignition cut out or it retards the ignition. One good thing is it only works at the first 50% of the throttle. Also keep in mind there is no wheel sensor. So it is predicting spikes in rpm to work. I’m not sure how effective that is but it likely will sense slipping but not be as accurate. 

To me it’s for less experienced riders similar to a Rekluse auto clutch. I would turn it off as it likely acts like a rev limiter down low.

So I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. If it helps riding it helps just like a Rekluse for some. 

TC works in the real low. I can feel the wheel stutter in muddy conditions off idle, but not sure how far it extends into the RPM range. Map 1 hits at 3K / Map 2 at 2K. One is better for higher speed cruising, the other is really sweet in tight stuff. I leave TC on full time.

3 hours ago, Burnrider said:

TC works in the real low. I can feel the wheel stutter in muddy conditions off idle, but not sure how far it extends into the RPM range. Map 1 hits at 3K / Map 2 at 2K. One is better for higher speed cruising, the other is really sweet in tight stuff. I leave TC on full time.

You have the GET ECU? If so where do you ride and how pleased are you with it out here in Oregon? I have a trip planned for parts of the Alvord area, Northern Nevada and a small part of N California

5 hours ago, Burnrider said:

Should be the engine stutter not the wheel? 

Well I ordered the GET ECU. I did not order the TC switch but I like that it has the capability if I decide to get it later on. For a DS bike TC may be limited but I can say that I absolutely rely on TC when loaded up on my 1090, where the name of the game is managing all that weight while riding in the dirt. 

11 minutes ago, The Randall said:

Well I ordered the GET ECU. I did not order the TC switch but I like that it has the capability if I decide to get it later on. For a DS bike TC may be limited but I can say that I absolutely rely on TC when loaded up on my 1090, where the name of the game is managing all that weight while riding in the dirt. 

I have a BMW 1200gs with TC and find it useless for me. 

My friend has TC on his whatever big Honda adventure bike. He said it’s so useless when he uses it, it will stop on a steep hill and run out of power. ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

Should be the engine stutter not the wheel? 

Yeah, you can feel it in the wheel. Friend with a '16 500 EXC tried it and said it did nothing so he took it off. The ECU did change in '17

TC in the Dirt = No

ABS in the Dirt = No

TC and ABS via your Brain, wrist, body language, bike set up, tires etc. = YES

Turn that dangerous stuff off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Randall said:

You have the GET ECU? If so where do you ride and how pleased are you with it out here in Oregon? I have a trip planned for parts of the Alvord area, Northern Nevada and a small part of N California

No it's a stock ECU unlocked with Blaise tuning. I think the GET and the Vortex would improved over a stock ECU. 

I bought the get from slavens ( because the vortex wasn't in stock ) I would have been happy with the vortex . I didn't get any extra maps that slavens was supposed to be installed and he doesn't answer his emails . The TC is useless , I think I am going to go the other way and make map 2 some obnoxious fuel rich setting for a quick drag race scenario or something . Now that I'm used to the WiFi and making my own maps it's pretty cool .

I'm riding in Colorado , so it's like we already have traction control on from the elevation and resulting loss in power ...

Edited by Gibson5000
Additional content added
  • Like 1

While waiting to get my 500 back from the suspension shop I've been receiving various farkles in the mail. The GET ECU came in the mail the other day. I opened the box and took a look at what Slavens sent, and see that they sent me the ECU for a Suzuki. So I do what anyone else would do in my position and called Slavens Racing about it. Tristan tells me that they've run out of stock of the KTM GET ECU's, however most of the ECU's are the same for many bikes, and what matters is the maps loaded into them. It doesn't rest well with me that it says Suzuki on one of the most critical pieces of equipment I'll be installing on my bike. So I called them back again and asked for a RA. Tristan emails me one, then I get a call from Alec (the store, or online manager) and assures me that it's just a sticker on the box, and that he's getting stickers within the next week, and he's going to send me one that shows the correct brand and model number for the ECU.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. From what they say it's just a sticker, right? However, I also highly doubt that the little silver sticker Athena affixes to their ECU's will be sent from Athena to Slavens; and it's going to show up in my mail. I have 30 days to return it, and their policy is 20% restock on electrical.

I've never ordered anything from Slavens till now. Hasn't been a good experience so far.

I also don't know anything about the maps they loaded, other than what is stated on this slip of paper.

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 9.38.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 9.38.02 AM.png

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:45 AM, bigred460 said:

so if you have to give one ecu back, which is it going to be and why?

24 minutes ago, The Randall said:

While waiting to get my 500 back from the suspension shop I've been receiving various farkles in the mail. The GET ECU came in the mail the other day. I opened the box and took a look at what Slavens sent, and see that they sent me the ECU for a Suzuki. So I do what anyone else would do in my position and called Slavens Racing about it. Tristan tells me that they've run out of stock of the KTM GET ECU's, however most of the ECU's are the same for many bikes, and what matters is the maps loaded into them. It doesn't rest well with me that it says Suzuki on one of the most critical pieces of equipment I'll be installing on my bike. So I called them back again and asked for a RA. Tristan emails me one, then I get a call from Alec (the store, or online manager) and assures me that it's just a sticker on the box, and that he's getting stickers within the next week, and he's going to send me one that shows the correct brand and model number for the ECU.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. From what they say it's just a sticker, right? However, I also highly doubt that the little silver sticker Athena affixes to their ECU's will be sent from Athena to Slavens; and it's going to show up in my mail. I have 30 days to return it, and their policy is 20% restock on electrical.

I've never ordered anything from Slavens till now. Hasn't been a good experience so far.

I also don't know anything about the maps they loaded, other than what is stated on this slip of paper.

Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 9.38.12 AM.png

Do you have a Suzuki?

I guess he's out of Ktm ecu's and a configured a Suzuki for you