Sign in to follow this  

2019 yz250f airbox issues

Have any of yous had issues with with dirt getting past your filter? Seem to be getting through underneath ( I use plenty of grease) air filter is swapped out every race. I’m now onto my third piston in 30hrs. I have heard the power flow kit helps with this.

I have added pre-filters to the air intakes.  I cut up an old foam filter and wrapped the chunks in an old sand pre-filter.  Made a HUGE improvement in the amount of crap getting into the airbox.  I am also planning to block the huge drain holes in the airbox as those just let all kinds of dirt in.

What made you think your pistons needed to be changed after only 10 hours?

I have added pre-filters to the air intakes.  I cut up an old foam filter and wrapped the chunks in an old sand pre-filter.  Made a HUGE improvement in the amount of crap getting into the airbox.  I am also planning to block the huge drain holes in the airbox as those just let all kinds of dirt in.
What made you think your pistons needed to be changed after only 10 hours?

Hey. Sounds like that could be the way. Was a bit harder to start. Checked out the airbox box and dirt had passed through. Piston was
Scratched up

I’ve noticed the issues I had were from changing the filter. However I’ve only run my bike with twin air filters. I think the rubber seal in the middle makes a big difference. Secondly I do feel the Yamaha filter seat has a design flaw. I think the lack of a lip that the filter sits on allows dirt to migrate between the filter and filter seating surface. I recently purchased a dt1 filter cage because I think it will be easiest to change without allowing dirt in the intake. And the lack of backfire screen will make it easier to clean any dirt I drop into the intake.

Been reading / watching some 2020 'first ride' videos and articles and it's been mentioned

that Yamaha realized the design problem and improved the air filter element sealing for the 2020 YZ250F.

Edited by mlatour

Been reading / watching some 2020 'first ride' videos and articles and it's been mentioned
that Yamaha realized the design problem and improved the air filter element sealing for the 2020 YZ250F.

Oh. There design for 2019 was useless. Doesn’t seal good at all.

On 8/24/2019 at 5:38 PM, kickithard said:

Oh. There design for 2019 was useless. Doesn’t seal good at all.

Did they change this on the 2020 yz250x?

Just now, LiquidSamurai said:

Did they change this on the 2020 yz250x?

Yea man. The x is different. Pretty sure new fx is same

17 minutes ago, kickithard said:

Yea man. The x is different. Pretty sure new fx is same

So I dont have to buy an airbox mod? Do you know which airbox cover i get? it says the 2016 2018 twin airbox covers wont fit. THanks