Sign in to follow this  

2015 FC 350 Won't Start

Hello all!

So my 2015 Husky FC 350 will not start after sitting in my garage for over a year and I'm stumped what to do from here, other than spending a lot of money taking it to a mechanic. Here is the timeline of events:

1. Got bike out of storage, pumped what I "thought" was all of the old gas out of the tank, turns out the pump I used to get the gas out could not reach the bottom of the tank, so I unknowingly attempted starting the bike with old gas mixed with new.. YIKES
  2. Replaced Air filter
  3. Replaced all of the fuel filters (inline and fuel pump filters) 
  4. Replaced kinked hose in fuel pump assembly (seems somewhat common on this model)
  5. Replaced spark plug
  6. Checked wiring and saw not spots rubbing, no tears, main fuse looked fine.
  7. Bike will turn over and push out air but wont start
  8. Inline fuel line doesn't have a lot of pressure (indicating a clogged injector) when I disconnect it, and seems like normal flow.

So, I think my biggest mistake here was attempting to start the bike with old gas in it, but i'm not sure what to do from here. Anyone have a suggestion? Could I have flooded the bike when attempting to start it for so long? Are there other fuses I should check? Is it time to go see a professional? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

~Ctone

Edited by Ctone23

3 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Replace the in tank pump and filter

Flush all lines

Pressure clean the injector using a 9v battery and compressed air and solvent

Thanks. Do you use a product like the Motion Pro HV2 to clean the injector?

27 minutes ago, Ctone23 said:

Thanks. Do you use a product like the Motion Pro HV2 to clean the injector?

All you need is a rubber hose, some 'real' carb cleaner in the hose, connect one end to the injector, the other to compressed air, and cycle the injector with a 9v battery while you send high pressure solvent through the injector

• Like 1

Yes it's pretty common,normally on ones that have been used with a clogged filter ,it overheats the pump ,but I bet being stood will upset it

Here is a quick video of the sound my bike makes when starting. It sounds to me like the pump is working but I guess it could be "working" just not working well enough?

37 minutes ago, mog said:

Yes it's pretty common,normally on ones that have been used with a clogged filter ,it overheats the pump ,but I bet being stood will upset it

What do you mean by "being stood"? Sounds like my next step is to pressure test, but i'm not sure what I need to do that. Any suggestions?

Alright I found the parts to test the pressure. The manual calls for a pressure tester AND a testing hose. Can anyone confirm I need BOTH tools? Both parts are $180 USD so it almost makes more sense to just get a brand new fuel pump.

FC 350 Fuel Pressure Test.PNG

Edited by Ctone23

A dealer if local could pressure test it for very little money

Thanks for mentioning that. At the time when I bought my bike the only dealer was about 3 hours away, but since you mentioned it I googled and sure enough there is one 30 miles away. Cheers.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:11 PM, KRAYNIAL said:

Any large auto parts chain with have a psi tester to loan

Followed this advice and tested the fuel pump. The bike did not start of course during the test, not sure if that matters, but the gauge read 0-2 psi, so pump is not working I guess. 

I say I guess because when I disconnected the test line I gave the starter a blip to see what happened, and a solid stream of fuel came out of the pump. So it does appear to be working in some capacity but not well enough? 

8 minutes ago, Ctone23 said:

Followed this advice and tested the fuel pump. The bike did not start of course during the test, not sure if that matters, but the gauge read 0-2 psi, so pump is not working I guess. 

I say I guess because when I disconnected the test line I gave the starter a blip to see what happened, and a solid stream of fuel came out of the pump. So it does appear to be working in some capacity but not well enough? 

It has to push 50+ psi for 5 min to be considered in spec.

2 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

It has to push 50+ psi for 5 min to be considered in spec.

Looking at the procedure for testing i'm wondering if I did something wrong. I bridged the pressure tester between the tank and the injector; so it didn't look exactly like the manual procedure. Does the test require I pump the gas into another container for it to work? I would assume the pump would pressure up the way I set it up (the way I saw online).

7 hours ago, Ctone23 said:

Looking at the procedure for testing i'm wondering if I did something wrong. I bridged the pressure tester between the tank and the injector; so it didn't look exactly like the manual procedure. Does the test require I pump the gas into another container for it to work? I would assume the pump would pressure up the way I set it up (the way I saw online).

No, you cannot include the injector. You need to have the pump flowing fluid for at least 5 min. 

Did the test to spec, no pressure reading on the gauge but fuel did come out of the pump, so I guess the pump is moving fluid just not to spec, or the pressure test was not performed properly of the gauge is broken. Regardless, ordered a new OEM pump, wish I would have found this guy first but oh well, OEM is expensive. https://slavensracing.com/shop/fuel-pump-ktm-husaberg-husqvarna-ca-cycleworks/

Edited by Ctone23