Sign in to follow this  

2004 CRF450R Rear Suspension Link Length

Hello All,

I have a question about the length of the stock rear suspension link on a 2004 CRF450R.

My bike had an aftermarket link installed on it when I bought it, and the front forks were pushed up a half inch or so, leading me to believe the link is a lowering link. However, the seat height is still almost exactly the same as stock. Certainly nothing even close to an inch lower. Maybe there is something else going on to throw me off, but the seat looks stock, as does the shock.

The aftermarket link has no name or numbers on it, but it measures 135mm between the bolt centers. I’ve scoured the internet trying to find the measurement of the stock link, but I can’t find any info for this year.

From Kouba’s website, I’ve determined that 2003 and 2004 had the same length link, and that they are different from any other years, but other than that, I’m at a loss.

I’m wondering if there’s anyone out there who owns an ‘03 or ‘04 450R who would be kind enough to measure the length of their stock rear link and send it to me.

Thanks very much

Hello All,
I have a question about the length of the stock rear suspension link on a 2004 CRF450R.
My bike had an aftermarket link installed on it when I bought it, and the front forks were pushed up a half inch or so, leading me to believe the link is a lowering link. However, the seat height is still almost exactly the same as stock. Certainly nothing even close to an inch lower. Maybe there is something else going on to throw me off, but the seat looks stock, as does the shock.
The aftermarket link has no name or numbers on it, but it measures 135mm between the bolt centers. I’ve scoured the internet trying to find the measurement of the stock link, but I can’t find any info for this year.
From Kouba’s website, I’ve determined that 2003 and 2004 had the same length link, and that they are different from any other years, but other than that, I’m at a loss.
I’m wondering if there’s anyone out there who owns an ‘03 or ‘04 450R who would be kind enough to measure the length of their stock rear link and send it to me.
Thanks very much

Yes,
I think that someone will have to measure that for you.
The Devol website has the dimensions for the 2005-2008, but not for the 2004 CRF450R. It does have it for the 2004 CRF250R, which means that the 250 and 450 are different in 2004.

Here is the list for the 2005.
I hope someone will measure that and post it so that we can see the difference.

IMG_0532.jpg

Cut the subframe and run a low seat foam if you want a lower seat. The link change is to make the shock work better, and it lowers the rear slightly. You adjust the fork tube to balance the bike out/setup load on the front end.

Is this what you are looking for?

Photo reads 5.1525 inches but it looks like I might be a bit crooked. Maybe 5.2 or even 5.3 inches?

2004 CRF450R

20190822_170154.jpg

Edited by Augoose

Yes. Thank you so much!!! The reason I'm looking for the length of the link is because I need to purchase a new spring for the rear shock, and from what I've read, the spring weight for a given rider's weight needs to be sized a bit higher if the bike has a lowering link installed. 

Gotcha. For what it's worth, I have my stock 450R rear spring in the classifieds for free. It's 5.5kg I think. Likely is too light for you but just wanted to throw it out there.

Your picking the fly SH_ _ out of the pepper, your right you need to readjust the sag . I've run different links on my 15, 17, you dont change the spring. You need to run the right springs for your weight front and rear ,set the sag,and play with fork height.