Sign in to follow this  

XR650L 1993 xr650l basket case needhelp

OK so I went out and bought myself in 1993 XR 650L basket case. The previous owner was kind enough to spray bomb the bike white so needless to say the old plastic hit the road and all new OEM plastic just arrived. Now for my first question were the OEM side panles painted blue or was the blue a vinyl piece. I looked on the Honda breakdown and could not find a vinyl piece called out anywhere. Now for my second problem when i was driving home and the bike got good and warm it started idling really high regardless of what i would do. Could the valves cause this? 

1 hour ago, Dlasure2 said:

OK so I went out and bought myself in 1993 XR 650L basket case. The previous owner was kind enough to spray bomb the bike white so needless to say the old plastic hit the road and all new OEM plastic just arrived. Now for my first question were the OEM side panles painted blue or was the blue a vinyl piece. I looked on the Honda breakdown and could not find a vinyl piece called out anywhere. Now for my second problem when i was driving home and the bike got good and warm it started idling really high regardless of what i would do. Could the valves cause this? 

High idle hot usually a vacuum leak issue, check carb is seated well in the intake boot, also check boot for cracks.

And check the hoses, of course.

• Like 1

Great i have a new boot for my xr600 it should be the same now if i can figure out the blue on the side panels 

also check that the head to carb insulator (aka boot) has a flat mounting face. it can be made flat with a large file. and replace the oval o-ring that is the seal next time you are in there. and periodically thereafter.

as an xr warms up, the idle will increase. that's normal. if you try to lower it, you should have no problem so if you don't find a vacuum leak, take a look at the throttle cables - sometimes the PO takes all the slack out thus the linkage can't close against the idle screw.

enjoy your ride!