Sign in to follow this  

Problem fitting fmf slip on to E header

I need some quick advice. I have a S model. Fitted a E header. Just got a fmf Q4 slip on for the S model so the rear footpeg mount would like up.

If I line up the rear footage mount, the slip on does not slide on to the E header all the way. It is a solid 1" short of bottoming out on the metal ring. It looks like it will still seal up ok.

Or I can slide it forward on to the header all the way but then it will not mount to the footer mount. The exhaust "bolt hole" is half under the bolt hole in the frame. So I don't think I could make a mount to work. 

Which way do you think is best?

1 hour ago, rc51kid said:

I need some quick advice. I have a S model. Fitted a E header. Just got a fmf Q4 slip on for the S model so the rear footpeg mount would like up.

If I line up the rear footage mount, the slip on does not slide on to the E header all the way. It is a solid 1" short of bottoming out on the metal ring. It looks like it will still seal up ok.

Or I can slide it forward on to the header all the way but then it will not mount to the footer mount. The exhaust "bolt hole" is half under the bolt hole in the frame. So I don't think I could make a mount to work. 

Which way do you think is best?

Please provide a pic.

Anyway, if the pipe seals even without bottoming out on the header there's no problem, rigth?

Just try it, if it seals you are good to go, just try to feel with your hand if exhaust gas are leaking.

9 hours ago, 38super said:

Pipe expander, local muffler shop.

Sounds like he needs a pipe lengthener

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In this application of 400S subframe x 400E header x 400E Q4, you have a few choices.  Whatever you choose, FMF designed the slip on to go on all the way.  Not saying that not shorting the slip on so the midpipe bolt lines up wouldn't seal. Have not heard of anyone doing it that way tho.

1. Mount per instructions sliding on all the way, purchase offset mount. Below pic copied from another thread.

image.png.9b35bcf3558c17f8af94fc668eae024d.png

2. Mount per instructions sliding on all the way, make your own offset mount. My pic.

image.png.fd5a5cbdf5e1f6f4063395eae71f8b4f.png

3. Run without the midpipe mount. Don't like it and no recommend it. Apparently a small weight saving to some. Here is a link for you to decide for yourself.

Your 4th choice is as you mentioned to not slip on all the way,  A lot of heat and expansion in this area, full slip x hi-temp silicone would be my preference.

Let us know how you proceed.