Sign in to follow this  

Tore my ACL again

I tore my ACL and lateral meniscus during a Supermoto race in February 2017. I had it repaired in April 2017 using my patellar tendon for the graft. I was committed and good about therapy.

I started riding again in October 2017.

In February this year i was riding a sand trail and dabbed my foot as i was about to lowside in a turn. It wasn’t violent or anything, low speed and routine dab. My leg twisted i felt the pop and immediately knew i damaged something. I was wearing pod k8 knee braces. I walked away fine and pain/swelling was extremely minor. After 7 days all swelling was gone. The first tear my knee was swollen to the point where i couldn’t bend it or walk and was on crutches.

That was my last ride since i knew i damaged something, but thought it was just going to be my meniscus. Saw my Dr. again in June this year and with a quick Lachman test confirmed my graft was torn. MRI confirmed full ACL tear, re-tore lateral meniscus in the same spot, new tear in medial meniscus.

I just had surgery 2 weeks ago and had to use a cadaver since i already used my patellar tendon.

I’m at a loss trying to determine why my ACL tore so easily the 2nd time. The first time it was definitely warranted. Ruling out my surgeon as earlier this week my PT told me he does all ortho surgery for UCLA athletics and also is the surgeon for the Lakers. I knew he had a reputation, but he’s humble, so i had no idea I was paired with such a great doctor.

I’m even more committed to the healing process and therapy because i don’t want to do this a 3rd time or cause more issues down the road. I don’t have any interest in riding for at least 12 months while i work on therapy, but i want to continue with motocross and off roading next year.

I’m just worried because i know I’m going to stick my leg out again in motocross and I’m afraid that’s all it will take for a 3rd tear. I’m built tall and lean with very little muscle mass (classic ectomorph). My dr. Mocks my chicken legs and how loose my joints are naturally. I know that severely works against me, so i don’t plan on riding MX again until I’ve added some muscle to my legs.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to discuss with others who have been able to successfully ride MX on a reconstructed graft after one/multiple ACL tears.

I didn’t really have many problems riding with a torn ACL, but that’s guaranteeing a knee replacement down the road. I’d rather try and live with a reconstructed ACL.

Once damaged, the repair is never as good. You have to tone down or change or it will get damaged again. Not if but when. I trashed a meniscus, then ten years later, the ACL. I accepted the reality. Cut way back on skiing and changed my motorcycling style of riding. My long term health is m ore valuable than a few moments of glory. If I were paid millions to race, that is something different. But for fun, being hobbled for life was and is not an option. I subsequently (20 years later) have had to get both knees replaced and I have further scaled back.

Once damaged, the repair is never as good. You have to tone down or change or it will get damaged again. Not if but when. I trashed a meniscus, then ten years later, the ACL. I accepted the reality. Cut way back on skiing and changed my motorcycling style of riding. My long term health is m ore valuable than a few moments of glory. If I were paid millions to race, that is something different. But for fun, being hobbled for life was and is not an option. I subsequently (20 years later) have had to get both knees replaced and I have further scaled back.

Good feedback, thanks. I’ll be 30 next year and find myself thinking about longevity more and more in all aspects of life. I decided to give up commuting (in LA) via motorcycle just before i had surgery because it’s a guaranteed death here. My alternative is a 2 hour commute each way, but Time saved is worthless if you’re dead.

The thought of giving up motocross is really hard for me to swallow, although may be a grim reality. It was a lifetime dream of mine since childhood and i was only able to start at 21. I feel like i was just starting to make good progress and have been enjoying it more than ever and now i have to quit already? On the flip side, I’ve watched 2 close friends in their mid 30s have life altering spinal injuries and when they get on my mind it’s hard to think about continuing. In comparison my knee injuries are a blessing.