Sign in to follow this  

2015 FE250 engine leak

Picked up this fe250 for trails when the crf450 is just too much power. Turns out I have been riding the fe250 alot more then the 450, really like the fe... its super light, nimble, flickable, suspension is great. For trail riding I feel like I am just as fast on the fe250 as I am on the 450, just need to carry more speed into corners and wring the 250 by its neck. I have always been a jap bike lover but this little bike has opened my eyes.

The bike has 45hrs on it, and I noticed some fluid on the stator side cover. Anyone have a guess to whether this is a stator cover gasket leak, slave cylinder leak? the leak is not bad enough to tell if its oil or brake fluid, the pic is after 3 hrs of riding 

All stator cover and slave cylinder bolts are tight

IMG_20190822_194023.jpg

IMG_20190819_143351.jpg

There is a pin/screw right about where your leak is on the stator cover. Check to see if it is loose.

• Helpful 1

18 minutes ago, zoomdude57 said:

There is a pin/screw right about where your leak is on the stator cover. Check to see if it is loose.

the part circled in red? I assume the stator cover has to come off to check this? 

I just read thru 38 pages of slave cylinder problems/oring's leaking

IMG_20190822_194023.jpg

Its a 2.5mm allen key, I got about a half turn before it stopped. Ill ride and see what happens thanks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WRfinatic said:

the part circled in red? I assume the stator cover has to come off to check this? 

I just read thru 38 pages of slave cylinder problems/oring's leaking

IMG_20190822_194023.jpg

This bike doesn't have any of the slave issues.

• Helpful 1

The leak stopped on our EXC 350 when I snugged that allen-key plug

3 hours ago, WRfinatic said:

Is that hole for a timing light?

No, it is so they can drill the oil lines in the casting. 

Thanks for all the help! Will be riding another 100 miles tomorrow so hopefully the leak is gone. 

Why does the fc250 make so much more power then the fe250? Curious if its different cams, a different motor, pipe, ecu...

Cams, ignition advance, higher compression,  gearing, no reeds in the intake boot and a less restrictive exhaust.. oh yeah the ECU mapping is much leaner on a FE to satisfy EPA for road going. They are two totally different bikes, the Fc would be too high strung on the road, and the FE probably too mild for a serious pace at the MX track. You spend a lot of money trying to turn one into the other.

• Like 1

My bike did not come with blinkers, horn, key, etc. 

All other fe250's I have seen are street legal from the factory, does husky still make the fe250 not street legal? If I bought a new one someday I dont want all the emissions garbage of the street legal version

Edited by WRfinatic

10 hrs later and no more leaking oil after tightening the allen screw! Cleaning the air filter today and found this in the intake, couldn't find this piece on the fiche or in owners manual.

Stock or aftermarket?

I like this bike so much I sold my 450, this little 250 is a riot!! 

IMG_20190903_142354.jpg

IMG_20190903_142401.jpg