Sign in to follow this  

How few miles is too few?

Hello everyone, first time posting.

I'm shopping for a 250L and I found a clean 2017 ABS for $4k about an hour from me. My only concern is that it has less than 400 miles.

It's bone stock, 2nd owner, barely ridden.

Should I be concerned with the super low mileage? If it sat in 2 different garages for a couple years, what kind of issues could I expect?

This is my first real motorcycle purchase aside from dirt bikes as a teenager. I appreciate any insight!

A lot of these have that mileage at 2,3 or even 4 years.

Condition of the tires, frame and plastics is more important.

• Like 1

bring a flashlight or some kind of dipstick and check the condition of the gas in the tank if you can. at the very least smell it. if it smells "sour" you'll probably want to drain the tank (if/when you buy it) and/or use a fuel treatment. if it's sat for any period of time, change all the fluids before you do any serious riding.

• Like 1

I purchased a 2017 Rally earlier this year.  Had 276 miles on it when I test rode it.  The guy who had it received it as a gift from his GF in Nov 2016 and he was into "real" dirt bikes.  She got it so he could ride it to work and also the dirt (nice GF!) but he needed his truck most of the time at work, and only rode it two or three times a month.  This last wet winter he hardly rode it, as he took his 'real' dirt bike in the truck out to the desert when it was the weekend.  Oil looked good, the gallon and a half of fuel was only a couple of months old, so I bought it.  Topped it off when I got it home with fresh gas, rode it to a little over 550 miles and did a oil/filter.  I've lubed the chain, checked air in the tires and ridden it about 1,000 miles in the 5 months or so I've owned it.  It's not fast, but damn is it a fun bike to scoot around on.  Only had it on the dirt once, and it did just fine on a rough dirt road.  Had no expectation of it being an MX bike.  I look forward to a lot of exploring dirt roads around central Oregon next year.  Check the basics, and if it is OK you should be fine.  It's a Honda.

• Like 1

I appreciate the responses everyone. I'm going to look at a 2017 ABS with 650 miles on Wednesday. Priced at $4k, hopefully it looks as good as the owner is saying it is. He got it used from a local Honda dealership. Seems like a lot of people buy these bikes, are underwhelmed, and trade them in almost immediately. Oh well, their loss is our gain I guess.

Got the bike today! Anyone know what the plug is coming off the negative battery terminal? It runs to the left and you can see the end to the right of the cylinder head with a rubber cap on it. I'm thinking possibly for a trickle charger? 20190904_142316.jpeg

that's an SAE plug. standard auxiliary power plug thing. likely used to connect a battery tender/charger to the bike without having to take the side covers off. you can also get an air pump or any number of other devices with that plug type on it to power off the bike.

• Like 1

that's an SAE plug. standard auxiliary power plug thing. likely used to connect a battery tender/charger to the bike without having to take the side covers off. you can also get an air pump or any number of other devices with that plug type on it to power off the bike.
Great, thank you!