Sign in to follow this  

2020 TE300i exhaust leak?

I bought a 2020 TE300i about 3 weeks ago and have just under 8 hours on it. After my last ride there was a light misting of oil from around the pipe and all down the front of the engine. I haven't owned a 2 stroke in close to 30 years and am a newb. I'm guessing the pipe isn't sealing correctly to the engine but it didn't start leaking until after a couple of short rides. I dropped it on the left side but it was really low speed and no visible damage. Any ideas? Do I need to get new o-rings for the pipe?

Other than this I love this bike.

20190818_161318.jpg

20190818_161323.jpg

Looks like you need o rings ,check the pipe goes into the flange without effort with no o rings , to ensure it's not pushed over

• Like 1

You may have Tweaked the Pipe when you dropped it. Take the complete exhaust off, When installing the Pipe first, insert the pipe in the Head and Install the springs first to hold the Pipe in place.  then reassemble the rest of the exhaust....

• Like 1

Well, i changed the exhaust o-rings and it still leaks. The picture i included was from a 10 min putt around my back yard. I plan to take it to the shop tomorrow. 20190828_155410.jpg

53 minutes ago, Zorgnot said:

Well, i changed the exhaust o-rings and it still leaks. The picture i included was from a 10 min putt around my back yard. I plan to take it to the shop tomorrow. 20190828_155410.jpg

mine looks the exact same way. Post up what they say. 

• Like 1

all my carburetor two strokes leak unburnt oil from that joint...
its a sign its rich...loaded up...not getting hot enough to burn. I'm suprised TPI is allowing it to get so rich. [emoji2371]
Well i've only got 4 acres with about 2 rideable. And downhill to that. It could be just loading up like you said. I've a day ride on friday i'll see if it does it then.
  • Like 1

yeah...its still a two stroke...?

the pipe and the pipe joint will always get tweaked when you fall...the seal will never be perfect...I usually spray down the front of the engine under the pipe with Simple Green before I wash it. Mineral Spirits is great for cleaning spooge. ?

Great, thanks. It've not had a 2 stroke since i was a kid. Man i really like this bike.

• Like 1

You can often tweak the pipes by hand , if you can see where it's pushed across

• Like 1

For sure, hand fitting pipes after a couple falls is a required two stroke owners skill.?

Just seems like a lot of spooge for a TPI bike...first hour on 150 has been pretty clean. 30 day warranty if you're going to have the dealer check anything...others with the same model can share their experiences.

I'm guessing if the ECU and sensors are all working the Check Engine light goes off...but, maybe dealer has a quick fault check diagnostic if it keeps running rich. ??‍♂️

I wouldn't give that two seconds of thought. Ride it. It's not hurting anything.

needs a light skim of high temp RTV or that pipe putty designed for two stroke pipes that is like a high temp play-doh that is reusable.  Gorr has mentioned this stuff in one of his books.  

• Like 1

I have the exact bike and mine is doing this as well.  I did drop it, hard enough to spider the P3 pipe protector.  I just noticed this morning there was a small pool up oil that had seeped down the engine and into my skid plate.  

Looks like the mating surface between the exhaust flange and cylinder head. A lot of 2020 models are having this issue and most people are trying to fix the power valve arm grommet, power valve cover, or o rings for the header which are not the cause.

Looks like the mating surface between the exhaust flange and cylinder head. A lot of 2020 models are having this issue and most people are trying to fix the power valve arm grommet, power valve cover, or o rings for the header which are not the cause.
So what's the fix? A recall?

10 minutes ago, Zorgnot said:
15 minutes ago, Eldon said:

Read more  

So what's the fix? A recall?

My dealer chased the leak on my bike for a couple days. After finally pulling the exaust flange from the cylinder they quickly noticed there was no liquid gasket on the right side of the flange. They cleaned off the mating surfaces and reapplied a little Yamabond. I've put about 7 hours on it since I got it back and it hasn't leaked it all.

• Like 1