Sign in to follow this  

2020 TE300i exhaust leak?

58 minutes ago, Nicholas Derthick said:

removed the exhaust and found it was this bolt that is leaking. Anyone know what it is?  it has an allen head inside.  Sucks that a 10k bike with only a few hours already is leaking.

87E278C8-40B7-49D3-BAF6-872C6EE6F494.jpeg

Your best bet is to pull all 4 bolts, remove the flange, clean and reapply a light film of liquid gasket.

So got about 50 miles of mixed single track and 2 track. And this is what my bike came back like.

Taking it to the dealer today. I'm pretty sure this can't be normal.20190905_172354.jpg20190905_172345.jpg20190905_172341.jpg

50 minutes ago, Zorgnot said:

So got about 50 miles of mixed single track and 2 track. And this is what my bike came back like.

Taking it to the dealer today. I'm pretty sure this can't be normal.20190905_172354.jpg20190905_172345.jpg20190905_172341.jpg

That's almost exactly what mine looked like before putting silicone around the plastic D ring that connects the PV cover and clutch cover... 

2 hours ago, Zorgnot said:

I had this leak.  At first I thought it was the PV cover but now it seems to come from the small allen bolt.  I noticed that the bolt is a bit loose in the hole.  I schmutz the bolt and the rubber gasket with high temp silicone.  I'll ride on sunday and report back.  The bolt seems to be a stopper for power valve to keep it from rotating too far in the closed position.  I may pull the bolt completely and put silicone on the threads instead of just under the nut.  I'm reluctant to remove the bolt because it is set from the factory and behind the frame.  If I can get a measurement on how far it sticks out, I'll try to remove it and then put it back to the original measurement.  

Edited by hrpufinstuff

On 9/3/2019 at 7:47 PM, 2strokenut said:

How would you do this without pulling the cylinder? 

I'm wondering the same thing.  Is this possible?  

39 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

You can't. If this is the problem, I'm letting the dealer do it. 

Yes. I had my dealer fix mine. They tried the D gasket and the right hand PV cover first but the issue ended up being the exhaust flange.

20190817_090504_HDR.jpg

Edited by Eldon

I feel it's really bad owners are having these problems in brand new bikes , ktm should not be selling bikes without the engines built correctly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mog said:

I feel it's really bad owners are having these problems in brand new bikes , ktm should not be selling bikes without the engines built correctly

I haven’t even made my first payment on the bike yet.  

7 hours ago, redrider144 said:

Is this happening to the orange HSQs too, or just white ones?

Both.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 8:05 AM, hrpufinstuff said:

Damn.  I'd really like to not pull this thing apart for the 3rd time.  

Ugh.  I spend all day Saturday pulling the cylinder and re-sealing the exhaust manifold, pv cover, ripped the base gasket of course.  Got it all back together and it's f-ing leaking again!  That's the 3rd time.  It looks like the PV cover at the d-ring but I can't imagine how oil is getting past it.  

27 minutes ago, hrpufinstuff said:

Ugh.  I spend all day Saturday pulling the cylinder and re-sealing the exhaust manifold, pv cover, ripped the base gasket of course.  Got it all back together and it's f-ing leaking again!  That's the 3rd time.  It looks like the PV cover at the d-ring but I can't imagine how oil is getting past it.  

Just curious. Did you pull the cylinder for a leaking cylinder base gasket?....what year bike? ...a 2020? how many hours?

what made you think the base gasket was leaking?

these new engines don't appear to have a traditional pipe mounting exhaust flange bolted to the cylinder. The mount for the pipe is cast into the Front Power Vave Cover...which has a complicated internal sealing surface around those bolts...the scond pic...a Husky pic for the 150 is more clear.

IMG_6942.PNG

IMG_6920.PNG

Edited by SlowDinoDog

51 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

Just curious. Did you pull the cylinder for a leaking cylinder base gasket?....what year bike? ...a 2020? how many hours?

these new engines don't appear to have a traditional pipe mounting exhaust flange bolted to the cylinder. The mount for the pipe is cast into the Front Power Vave Cover...which has a complicated internal sealing surface around those bolts...the scond pic...a Husky pic for the 150 is more clear.

IMG_6942.PNG

IMG_6920.PNG

So its an o-ring now instead of a thin layer of yamabond?

50 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

IMG_6942.PNG

IMG_6920.PNG

That image doesn't look quite right for the 300.  There's no o-ring, just a flat surface.  Mine is a 2020 TE 300i, 50ish hours.  the bolt shown with the copper crush washer is on the rider's-right side of the engine, not the left like shown for the 150.  My base gasket was not leaking, I just tore it trying to remove the cylinder so that I could work on the exhaust seal.  

2 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

So its an o-ring now instead of a thin layer of yamabond?

No, there's just o-rings around the bolt holes, then it's just silicone seal.  

• Like 1