Doc_speeder

YZ250 piston weights - REVEALED!!

Not sure if this has been covered before, but I found it interesting.

Weight of new Pro-X piston for my 2016 YZ250 - 200g

Weight of OEM piston that I removed at 75 hrs - 222g

Both weighed without rings, pin, or clips on my wife's very precise digital kitchen scale.  Substantial difference I'd say! I know the Pro-X piston has a good reputation, but I think that makes me a tad concerned that it may not be as durable as OEM.  But at my 50hr interval and mostly single track riding it should be fine however I have been spending an increased amount of time at the MX track and I'm not afraid to let it eat. 

The OEM piston I weighed was the original, and as stated was replaced at 75 hrs with the spare OEM piston included by my dealer when I bought my bike.  Bike now has 124 hrs on it.  I'm going to the track for a bit on Saturday if the weather is good.  Pro-x piston will be going in on Sunday afternoon if I have time.  I'll weigh the second OEM piston as well out of curiosity when I take it out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doc_speeder said:

Yeah...and?  What do they weigh?  Or are you suggesting they are better than Pro-X?  Throw me a bone man.  What's your angle?

You said revealed... I would have thought you had more than just a ProX and OEM. 

Yes, I will use a Vertex over a ProX, but a ProX over any Wiseco. 😏

Edited by 2SYZDOC
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

Odd. Have always read that Wiseco can't shatter unlike cast pistons.

Probably added heat, IDK I am only 80% sure this was a wiseco. It was so long ago, and I am getting worse in memory. 

1 hour ago, 2SYZDOC said:

You said revealed... I would have thought you had more than just a ProX and OEM. 

Yes, I will use a Vertex over a ProX, but a ProX over any Wiseco. :smirk:

Haha.  Sorry, thread title was a bit click-baity... but in fairness I didn't say ALL pistons haha.

Next time I do a top end I'll buy a Vertex and weigh it and update the thread!

9 hours ago, Vermillionx said:

Other than the weight and longevity concerns, wouldn't the lighter piston rev a bit better?

As revs increase piston to crank balance factors come into play. But balance the lighter piston to the crank then absolutely.

• Helpful 1

Interesting ?? ive been using prox since switching from oem pistons.  Prox feels more snappy . Been using them in all the 125-150s i do for local racer's only 1 broken skirt but that happens with oem sometimes.  Mx racing only ofcourse 

• Helpful 1

Wiseco weigh 215g

I’ve never seen one fail and the ones I’ve used always rev to the moon. That one in your picture Doc would be the first I’ve seen fail but that one doesn’t look like any that I’ve ever used, maybe it’s an older one?

With multiple variations between 200-225g it would be nice to know what your crank needed to be in perfect balance.

• Helpful 1