Sign in to follow this  

1985 Honda XR600R pulse generator

7 hours ago, Jan Swart said:

Good day all,

I need some assistance on how to test the pulse generator on my 1985 Honda XR600R?

Regards

You can find the ohm numbers for a "value" to compare................. But if its bad its bad.

Ohm the two wires going to it...................... what is the resistance??

now put heat to it with a good hair dryer or heat gun while you still have it hooked to the Ohm meter................... did heat effect it at all? ..........If so its bad.

That's the easy test............. sometimes the get old and dirty and lose the magnets strength that is inside of it.......

But if its not doing anything............its bad from the get go.................

the above test is to find out why it quits after a regular short ride ........................... then it will start after it cools down.........classic case

You have to open up the side cover, but metal wear bits are attracted to the magnet inside the sensor.  Over time it can build up to where the signal is not good.  I had an instance where my bike started running again after cleaning that metal off.  

These do go bad and need to be replaced.  The ignition winding on the stator goes bad more often. 

My pulse generator reads in the resistance range according to the manual. But i have no spark. Coil tests good. Stator coil test ok according to the manual. Tried a new CDI. Checked all the wiring, disconnected the kill switch. Still nothing. Do i need to kick the bike over to look for a spark or should i see a spark just by putting a screw driver in front of the pulse generator? Thanks for the help. Sorry for hijacking the thread.