Sluggish accelerate

Latley it's felt like my 2018 is a bit sluggish on acceleration.like not as much umph. What could cause this my first guess was dirty air filter,I ride off road and haven't cleaned my filter since I got the bike in February or march.if not filter what else?

2 hours ago, MuddyThumper said:

Latley it's felt like my 2018 is a bit sluggish on acceleration.like not as much umph. What could cause this my first guess was dirty air filter,I ride off road and haven't cleaned my filter since I got the bike in February or march.if not filter what else?

that sounds reasonable. depending on conditions, it could be all but blocked. if its a dr650, clean the small filter too

give us some more info... does it happens straight away or only after some riding with hot engine? in all gears? what RPM range? does it cruise ok at steady throttle/highway speed?

a dirty air filter will make it run rich, so pull the spark plug out, if it's black with sooth, then it could be the filter. if it's good tan color, then you need to look elsewhere

• 2 weeks later...

So it happens whether the bike is cold or warmed up,what happens is,I'll give it throttle and the time between giving it throttle and the bike getting a thrust is delayed. Are the stock carburetor notorious for clogging easy? The bike did sit for about three weeks.  It doesn't effect top speed just acceleration.