Sign in to follow this  

Valving change help request. ‘00 RM250 fork

I recently purchased an older DR350 that has been very nicely built, including an RM fork. I was able to contact the shop that did the swap, and they gave me spring rate, but had no info on valve changes, so we assume it’s stock.  Fortunately the spring is right for my weight. 

It sucks!  It beats the hell out of me.  It is way too harsh. Probably great for MX, but I’m an old, slow, low-intermediate woods guy. 

I’ve read a bit here on the topic, and I’m just like many before me. I can handle the labor, but don’t have the knowledge to select shims, and create a “package”. I’m hoping to find a convenient way to overcome this. I can’t have the bike down long, as I have an upcoming trip. 

It seems like the Racetech Gold Valves are a sort of “drop-in” option. I realize there’s a bit more to it, but is this maybe the best way for me to go?  Are there other suppliers that would offer a complete stack of “standard” shims that I can just swap the whole stack?  

Id love to not have the bike stuck immobilized on the rack in the shop for a couple weeks to ship the forks off to someone.

Am I overthinking it?  

Thanks for the help!

BC46F2FE-E2D9-4E3D-BABD-7B85A91BFCF6.jpeg

You have everything you need already, stock pistons are fine.  The harshness is easily fixed by removing a few shims in the right places.  Probably two or three from the base valve and one or two from the mid.  Depends on what is in there now. 

Pull it apart and let us know what you find.

10 hours ago, turbo dan said:

You have everything you need already, stock pistons are fine.  The harshness is easily fixed by removing a few shims in the right places.  Probably two or three from the base valve and one or two from the mid.  Depends on what is in there now. 

Pull it apart and let us know what you find.

Thanks Dan!  

I’ll try to tear into it this weekend and report back.