Sign in to follow this  

19 300xc engine/clutch noise take a listen

Hi guys can you please take a listen to my bike in this video and tell me what you think. 

It’s a distant rumble kinda sound that is there all the time, pulling clutch lever makes a small difference but there is still a noise present. 44 hours now and worried ??  Can anyone tell me is this a clutch, bottom end or top end noise? 

Best way is to take note of the exhaust noise, blank that out and listen to the rumble/marble noise 

thanks 🙂 

Edited by Bagger300xc

Unless I’m missing something, it sounds normal to me. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hammy-56 said:

Unless I’m missing something, it sounds normal to me. 

Maybe I just never heard it on previous bikes and don’t remember it when the bike was new. Take note of the exhaust noise, blank it out and focus on the rumble 

I do hear what you are talking about.

Sounds to me like it is clutch chatter.

This isn’t abnormal but the interesting part of your post is that you say it doesn’t stop when the clutch lever is pulled in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Autosport7 said:

I do hear what you are talking about.

Sounds to me like it is clutch chatter.

This isn’t abnormal but the interesting part of your post is that you say it doesn’t stop when the clutch lever is pulled in.

The noise does change with the clutch pulled but doesn’t fully go away. I’m undecided weather there’s 2 separate components making noise and one goes with the clutch pulled or if the whole noise situation is related to 1 component (the clutch) and just sounds slightly better with the clutch pulled ... if that makes sense lol 

Just now, Bagger300xc said:

The noise does change with the clutch pulled but doesn’t fully go away. I’m undecided weather there’s 2 separate components making noise and one goes with the clutch pulled or if the whole noise situation is related to 1 component (the clutch) and just sounds slightly better with the clutch pulled ... if that makes sense lol 

It does make sense but when the clutch is disengaged it ordinarily doesn’t kinda go away, it goes away. 

I don’t think you have more than one issue, at least from what I hear it sounds like clutch chatter.

Exactly what my bike did. Pulling the clutch reduces the clonking noise but has no effect on the grinding noise.

My bike in this video had zero hours. It was the first start in its life. Give me a thumbs up if you like it 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Exactly what my bike did. Pulling the clutch reduces the clonking noise but has no effect on the grinding noise.

My bike in this video had zero hours. It was the first start in its life. Give me a thumbs up if you like it 😉

This makes me a lot happier to hear this. I’m thinking now maybe the noise was there all along but with the excitement of having a new bike I didn’t notice  I will put it to the back of my head now and just go  have fun. 🙂 

• Like 1

My 2016 yz450 from the first minute until 120 hours when i sold it made so much clutch noise at idle, it was loud. My 300 sounds like yours.

5 hours ago, Bagger300xc said:

This makes me a lot happier to hear this. I’m thinking now maybe the noise was there all along but with the excitement of having a new bike I didn’t notice  I will put it to the back of my head now and just go  have fun. 🙂 

Yes, enjoy that toy and have fun with it.

In the vid you saw the first engine start of my new 2017. I was so scared that I  brought it to the dealer, but all they said was it's normal. But I kept pestering and so they had to install a battery and started another brand new one for me and it was as bad as mine. They also said its typical for the counter balanced engine as there is obviously one or two gears less than on the pre 17 bikes and the whole clutch is extremely noisy. I sold the 2017 to a friend when it had 150 hours. It has over 200 hours now and still sounds that way.

All the best!

Doc

Edited by Doc Brown

Sounds just like my 19 300xc.  It makes more noise than I would like but it have about 55 hours on it now and to my ear it sounds just like it did at 0 hours.