look-pro-go-slow

Beta 200 RR Unabiker Radiator Guards / Braces

I took a gamble on the Unabiker radiator braces working with my 200. In the description it says they are for a 2014-2019 250/300 2T.

Well I bought them thinking that maybe I would need to modify to get them to fit. I merely used a unabit to make the frame bolt holes larger. These guards fit perfectly. They’re only $100 compared to bulletproof guards for $200 and braces for $100.

I just wanted to share my experience and success. I highly recommend them.

IMG_4613.JPGIMG_4612.JPG

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, look-pro-go-slow said:

I took a gamble on the Unabiker radiator braces working with my 200.

Awesome!

7 minutes ago, look-pro-go-slow said:

I merely used a unabit to make the frame bolt holes larger.

Makes sense. 👍

• Haha 1

They are the best on the market by far. I have the bullet proof on my 200 and the Unabikers on my 250. Also the first commercial set ever for a BETA. They are more of a pain to install but are better in everyway.

• Like 3

wait, so can i use my EE rad guards from my 250 on the 200 ?? i didn't think they would work ... haven't tried swapping them over yet, wrote them off as not compatible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BassMan said:

They are the best on the market by far. 

And why is that? ?

IMG_20190824_101012.jpg

• Like 1

And why is that? [emoji848]

IMG_20190824_101012.thumb.jpg.66586d83fb44387753297daac53e2d2c.jpg

Because they offer the most protection, they are reinforced on the front and back with extra braces and tied together as a solid unit so their side impact and overall is just at another level than the others. Have a look at their site or I may take some picks.

BETA_13-15_2_STROKE_RAD_GUARDS_3_large.jpg

• Like 1

You can't see in the pic but both braces are connected by a bottom rod. Also notice the cut outs at the top which allow you to increase the turn radius. Plus they are half the price and Brian is a great guy and is active in supporting local racers and series.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BassMan said:

You can't see in the pic but both braces are connected by a bottom rod. Also notice the cut outs at the top which allow you to increase the turn radius. Plus they are half the price and Brian is a great guy and is active in supporting local racers and series.

They are OK and come at a really good price but still I prefer my P-Techs, their rear cage looks more rigid. 

FB_IMG_1566660958867.jpg

FB_IMG_1566660970306.jpg

FB_IMG_1566660984657.jpg

FB_IMG_1566660934193.jpg

• Like 3

I wouldn't throw the P-Techs out if I already had them, but the Unibikers are a little further in front of the radiator and I think that will obstruct the air flow less. Also allows for more deformation before impacting the radiator.

I have them on the DRZ too, so when it came time to equip the Beta, it was a no brainer.

1 hour ago, Beta300recat said:

I wouldn't throw the P-Techs out if I already had them, but the Unibikers are a little further in front of the radiator and I think that will obstruct the air flow less. Also allows for more deformation before impacting the radiator.

I have them on the DRZ too, so when it came time to equip the Beta, it was a no brainer.

But as you already know:??

2 hours ago, Beta300recat said:

Beta don't boil.

If you look closely, the P-Tech cuts are a little wedgy and the Unabikers have simply quite larger cuts so generally obstruct less airflow but we know that this is not a concern. Speaking of the front cuts, when installing I wasn't sure if they would stop small branches find their way to the rads (I could still could install oem louvers but didn't want to). At the end I never had a problem but I would look twice with the Unabikers. 

It may be some more gap on the Unas but the pt I think are beefier so it's just the 2 sides of a coin, one may deform earlier but might not pass this to the rad the other with more force but will touch the rad sooner. Difficult to measure, fact is that if both are deformed probably the radiator will be badly bend. 

Anyway if I was in US probably I would consider the Unabikers as well (but in black).

• Like 2

I like that support rod in the back idea. I had Enduro Engineering guards on my Xtrainer right up until last Thursday night.  I took them off and installed AXP radiator braces. I managed to crush the top left radiator hose outlet because I tagged a buddy climbing a hill and his silencer pushed the entire left radiator back far enough to smoosh the outlet. Mini Old Faithful. Lost about a cup of coolant maybe and never overheated the entire rest of the ride either which was good.

But I had to remove the radiator and get it fixed ($20) and that's when I realized the radiator may be well protected from side crush during a tip over, but any other kind of impact from the front or an angle will  simply bend them backwards into other stuff. There's only two M6 bolts holding each radiator to the frame and that's it. I can push them by hand. The AXP guards seems like it might prevent that. I installed the right guard this morning, and it's SOLID. And I'm installing a SAMCO hose set at the same time. Might as well. The damn rubber coolant hoses were bonded to the connections. Had to use a screwdriver to get them stretched out and off. 

Also thinking about getting a different case/frame  guard. The EE guard is a miserable sob to remove, and it holds all kinds of crap (mud debris) underneath. It does work, as it is beat up under the bike from hitting crap, but every ride I end up riding through some unavoidable mud hole and that;s that, more crap on top of the guard trapped in between. sigh. I might take the time to take it to work and mill some half inch slots for water and junk egress. I'd rather buy a solution.

20190824_155834.jpg

20190824_155838.jpg

20190824_155849.jpg

20190824_155917.jpg

20190824_155925.jpg

• Helpful 2

I ride in a lot tropical forests which can be really hot, even in the pouring rain. I like the design of the Unabiker louvers, letting in a lot of air, but still keeping mud to a minimum.  The install could've been easier if I followed the instructions. You miss one step, you have to remove a few items to install the part you forgot. ?

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I just put a set of Unabikers that I had powder coated on my 2021 200 Race Edition.  I had to make a few mod's:

1.  Fork has more clearance to radiator than lower triple clamp to guard, so I cut out the top part of the guard to eliminate the contact from the triple clamp allowing a tighter turning radius/steering stop adjustment.

Clearance.JPG.0b7a6e040e50edb252e104d877dd784c.JPG

Clearance2.JPG.2d2e5a26117ae4188127c92285dbbf4a.JPG

2.  The short rod that connects the two guards at the bottom behind the frame had to be shortened to fit ~4mm.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I got bpd guards on 2 bikes and got a unabiker guard to try. I am liking the ptech rad guards but not sure it will fit over bigger than stock radiators. From what I can tell bulletproof designs and unabiker are the only guards I see that have bigger guards for bigger radiators. Are there any other? 

Posted (edited)

FYI UNABIKER has a 125/200 guard in development, going into production in the next few weeks.  No need to snip the 250/300 guard for fork clearance.  

I emailed them about the 200 and that was their response today.  

Edited by zed1k
typo
  • Helpful 2

The Unabiker guards are not the cheapest, or the strongest or most protection or the lightest...but probably the ideal mix of the all of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nailbender said:

The Unabiker guards are not the cheapest, or the strongest or most protection or the lightest...but probably the ideal mix of the all of those.

Agreed - I have them on the ol' Gasser and the Beta and they're great, would definitely buy them again

Edited by pavementends

2 hours ago, Nailbender said:

Which would you rate the strongest ? 

The ptech looks pretty beefy but I haven’t seen up close. I think I might try those but Im concerned if going to fit over bigger than  stock radiators. I got bulletproof designs on a couple of my bikes and those are strong but lacks a little side protection. I bought unabiker radiator guards bigger to fit big radiators to go on. I didn’t put it on yet. Unabiker doesn’t look real strong. Ok but not the best..I might add a little more bracing to strengthen. Not sure yet..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider