Sign in to follow this  

Help with 2009 klx250s

About a month ago I bought a 2009 klx 250s with the 351 big bore kit and some other smaller mods (seat, slip-on exhaust, etc.) It has about 16000 miles. I have put about 250 miles on it and on my most recent ride it stalled out while going about 40-50mph and I had to pull over and call a friend to come pick me up. Now it runs, but it will not idle and makes a loud clicking sound when running (with throttle as it dies at idle.) I was hoping someone would have some insight on what would be the problem, as it was running fine before this. I do not have much knowledge and experience on motorcycle service, the only things I have done in the past is rejetting carbs and oil changes.

Sounds like something important inside the engine. I don't have much experience with 4stoke engines so I say take it to a local shop and I like the mom and pop ones myself. I feel like the big corporate backed places are kinda shady.  Good Luck.

Is it a ticking sound? Possible cam chain adjuster, or chain may have slipped a gear. Find someone who can pull the top and tell you if it is correct at TDC.

I agree with kdxyardsale.  You will need to remove gas tank, remove valve cover, turn engine over to TDC (remove the two plugs on left side to see TDC mark) then check cam sprockets to see if you are timed correctly.  Also may want to go with a manual cam chain tightener.   Check out Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners <kriegercct@clems-garage.com>

very good service and fast response.

You might want to buy a shop manual pricey $90 but worth a ton.