Sign in to follow this  

Smartcarb Clicker ???

36mm Smartcarb SC2 came with 109 clicks out.  Woh, this thing has a seriously high click count to it..  Used to suspension, I was imagining 24, 32 or something,,, but set somewhere in the middle at 109?!  Stoked it has a huge adjustment range, but I'm a bit lost in it.  At 109 out it had heavy lean bog off idle.  I clicked it 24 clicks in at 2-click increments until the bog was JUST gone.  Being that there are still a whopping 85 clicks left, I'm trying to wrap my head around what a click roughly equates to compared to a pilot or needle position.  For example, say maybe 5 clicks equals a step in pilot?  You know that funk in your head when you go back and forth between the metric system or something...feels like that.  

Anyone have any beta or insight on this?  Also, wondering what the max click count is?  This is in on an xtrainer with gnarly ad airbox open, btw. 

Sorry for the late reply.  I just went through the whole Smartcarb SC2 tuning saga.  Finally ended up with good results.  Here are my thoughts based on what you posted:

- The number of clicks from full rich (109 in your case) is largely irrelevant.  It's simply the number of clicks on the particular rod you have to end up at the stock measurements for overall slide/rod length.  For example: My SC2 Q11 rod has shorter threading than yours and therefore came with a factory clicker setting of 48 FFR.  In theory, that should be approximately the same total slide length (from tip of the rod to the top of the slide) as your 109 clicks FFR.

- According to the many conversations I had with Technology Elevated, deviating more than 20 clicks from the factory setting would be rare. I too ventured down the same path and never got rid of the lean bog.  Only after several weeks of tuning did I discover that my carb had a defective needle valve oring (torn from factory assembly).  Once that was replaced, the tuning was much easier and I ended up at around 10 clicks lean (58) and a full turn clockwise on the idle screw compared to factory.

- At those setting my bike runs great however, it's still spoogy (about 3-5 inches of spooge on the silencer) and I haven't gained much, if any, fuel economy.

- I'm was hoping to run cleaner with better economy but moving even 2 clicks leaner from where I'm at puts me back in lean bog territory.  I cannot lug climbs in 2nd without risk of bog-to-stall.

I hope this helps.

Edited by SoftOption
  • Like 1

Sorry for the late reply.  I just went through the whole Smartcarb SC2 tuning saga.  Finally ended up with good results.  Here are my thoughts based on what you posted:
- The number of clicks from full rich (109 in your case) is largely irrelevant.  It's simply the number of clicks on the particular rod you have to end up at the stock measurements for overall slide/rod length.  For example: My SC2 Q11 rod has shorter threading than yours and therefore came with a factory clicker setting of 48 FFR.  In theory, that should be approximately the same total slide length (from tip of the rod to the top of the slide) as your 109 clicks FFR.
- According to the many conversations I had with Technology Elevated, deviating more than 20 clicks from the factory setting would be rare. I too ventured down the same path and never got rid of the lean bog.  Only after several weeks of tuning did I discover that my carb had a defective needle valve oring (torn for factory assembly).  Once that was replaced, the tuning was much easier and I ended up at around 10 clicks lean (58) and a full turn clockwise on the idle screw compared to factory.
- At those setting my bike runs great however, it's still spoogy (about 3-5 inches of spooge on the silencer) and I haven't gained much, if any, fuel economy.
- I'm was hoping to run cleaner with better economy but moving even 2 clicks leaner from where I'm at puts me back in lean bog territory.  I cannot lug climbs in 2nd without risk of bog-to-stall.
I hope this helps.
Forgive me for saying this ,but it doesn't sound like you have gained much from a normal carb ? They only have 3 circuits and yours has 2 ,seems a lot 8f money to pay for something you don't ages dialing in ?
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mog said:
32 minutes ago, SoftOption said:
- According to the many conversations I had with Technology Elevated, deviating more than 20 clicks from the factory setting would be rare. I too ventured down the same path and never got rid of the lean bog.  Only after several weeks of tuning did I discover that my carb had a defective needle valve oring (torn for factory assembly).  Once that was replaced, the tuning was much easier and I ended up at around 10 clicks lean (58) and a full turn clockwise on the idle screw compared to factory.
I hope this helps.

Read more  

Forgive me for saying this ,but it doesn't sound like you have gained much from a normal carb ? They only have 3 circuits and yours has 2 ,seems a lot 8f money to pay for something you don't ages dialing in ?

Agreed except it did improve throttle response and not having to muck with it when riding different areas and different temps. I do find the power delivery much better.  1st gear is much smoother and more predictable in the woods. The bike starts WAY easier, idles better and the bike doesn't leak fuel every time I lay it down (which is alot 😉 )

The original reason I got it was to extend my riding through a whole season without having to change anything. IE. High elevation riding in temperatures ranging from just below zero celius up to above 30 celsius. The other reason I got it was to try to extend the fuel range on my '18 KTM 300 to 100km.  Currently I'd be risking it to try and go 85km on a single tank. By Technology Elevated claims, I should be able to get close to 100km per tank based on a 20% gain over the stock Mikuni.

But to answer your question as to whether or not it's worth it?  If I could extend my bike's range to 100km and run cleaner, I'd say with the other benefits it was worth it. Up to now, without the gain in my bike's range, and the spooge continually dripping down the silencer, the benefits aren't worth the cost.

The only way I know to get better economy is by running leaner ?

25 minutes ago, mog said:

The only way I know to get better economy is by running leaner ?

Other than preventing fuel spillage, that is correct.  Depends on how much time the bike spends laying on the ground.

Lectron claims the same thing and all they do is set the carb up lean in the quarter throttle range.  Nothing you can't do with a Mikuni or Keihin.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 12:14 PM, SoftOption said:

Agreed except it did improve throttle response and not having to muck with it when riding different areas and different temps. I do find the power delivery much better.  1st gear is much smoother and more predictable in the woods. The bike starts WAY easier, idles better and the bike doesn't leak fuel every time I lay it down (which is alot 😉 )

The original reason I got it was to extend my riding through a whole season without having to change anything. IE. High elevation riding in temperatures ranging from just below zero celius up to above 30 celsius. The other reason I got it was to try to extend the fuel range on my '18 KTM 300 to 100km.  Currently I'd be risking it to try and go 85km on a single tank. By Technology Elevated claims, I should be able to get close to 100km per tank based on a 20% gain over the stock Mikuni.

But to answer your question as to whether or not it's worth it?  If I could extend my bike's range to 100km and run cleaner, I'd say with the other benefits it was worth it. Up to now, without the gain in my bike's range, and the spooge continually dripping down the silencer, the benefits aren't worth the cost.

It sounds like you are still running a little rich, especially if the spooge is dripping down the silencer. If you lean it out 1 or 2 clicks and the lean bog is back, something is not right. I'd try reaching out to TE again. Maybe a different metering rod could help.??. What does the spark plug look like? I've tried running a tad rich on my ktm 380 with my SC and it really didnt help performance wise, it didnt do anything except cause some drool and I noticed the bike used more fuel. Once I leaned it out some (a click or 2), and hit the sweet spot, fuel mileage increased and no more drool.

Edited by pjk380
  • Like 1