Keihin pwk 36 - bent overflow valve thing

Hello All - I have a 2013 KTM 300XC with stock Keihin PWK36 carbeurator. I pulled the carb off the other day and removed the float bowl and noticed that the brass overflow stem or whatever it is called in teh float bowl had kind of a dog leg bend in it. Is this normal or should it be straight? If it is not normal what impact might this have (I'm having some splooging/jetting issues so wondering if this is contributing somehow)?

Also wondering about the position/rotation of the carb and where it should be positioned? On most 4-stroke carbs I have worked on there is a tab on the carb and a matching cut out on the intake flange which makes it fool proof to line up. Not sure how to orient this one other than as close to straight up and down as possible.

Thanks in advance.

There's an arrow/pointer on the rear boot. I align the carb with it as shown.

I don't remember there being a bend in the overflow tube. Sounds like someone who has been in the carb before you did it. I don't see it having an effect on jetting. The float level itself being off enough that it would cause an overflow is what would cause a jetting/running issue.

Carb Alignment.jpg

Edited by Trailryder42

10 minutes ago, Trailryder42 said:

There's an arrow/pointer on the rear boot. I the carb with it as shown.

I don't remember there being a bend in the overflow tube. Sounds like someone who has been in the carb before you did it. I don't see it having an effect on jetting. The float level itself being off enough that it would cause an overflow is what would cause a jetting/running issue.

Carb Alignment.jpg

Thanks for the answers.

There are two versions of the brass overflow tube. An older one, that is bent and a newer one that is straight. They both fit all Keihin carbs with the square top cover. Do not try to bend it, the tube will brake the bowl at the point where it sits in the bowl. The bowl costs a fortune. Don't ask why I know...

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 11:10 PM, Doc Brown said:

There are two versions of the brass overflow tube. An older one, that is bent and a newer one that is straight. They both fit all Keihin carbs with the square top cover. Do not try to bend it, the tube will brake the bowl at the point where it sits in the bowl. The bowl costs a fortune. Don't ask why I know...

Good to know thanks.