Sign in to follow this  

Clutch lifter rod wear marks

I’m pulling apart the motor, and the clutch rod wouldn’t pull out. Couldn’t grab it with pliers. When I got the trans out, I pulled it out the other side. I noticed it was grooved with a tiny lip and had a large wear spot. I’ve never had this happen before, or wasn’t bad enough to stick and didn’t notice. Any ideas of what caused it, or did I just use it too long.

IMG_3467.JPG

The typical fix is to grind or file a flat along the rod or at least the rod ends for more oil flow. The buff and/or polish it.

The rod shouldn't really be turning much. Check the bearing in the pressure plate. And make sure you've got enough free play in the lever.  There isn't any pressurized oil flow through the main shaft so grease the rod up when you put it back.

• Like 1

Check the face that the clutch arm pushes for scoring.

I changed clutch arms in my 09 to the 08 style and I think the sharp edge on the arm was stopping the rod from spinning and it burnt up the bushing in the mainshaft

I ended up doing a new mainshaft, and polishing the aluminum pro x pushrod (the hardened (well not really hard enough) steel ends) in the lathe with 800 grit.

Then I used a small dab of ep grease. 

So far so good.

• Like 1

Remember, the rod pushes through a bushing, then into the pressure plate lifter bearing sleeve thing. When the clutch is pulled in, that rod, if it's spinning a bunch, at that point it will be, stops because there is no bearing surface on the end of the rod where it the lifter arm cam pushes the rod across to lift the plate. Put the whole thing in a drill motor, polish it up with some 600 or 800 wet or dry with some WD40  on it. Clean up the ends and make sure they're square. If you see a wear pattern on the end that touches the lifter arm, you may want to just replace the thing.