Sign in to follow this  

Will Small Dents in Pipe Affect Power?

I hit a large stump on the left side of my 300XC pipe this week and although maybe I'm imagining it, it seems I've lost some low end power and it stalls easier. Dent is on the left most seam, about 2" long and pushed in maybe 0.5" in the center. Will a dent this size make a power difference?

Edited by Hardwrkr13

https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/this-much-we-know-the-truth-about-speed-dents-rock-dings-and-pipe-catastrophies/

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? There are three conclusions to be drawn from MXA’s speed-dent test:

(1) The worst dent is one located in the first 6 inches of the exhaust pipe. A dent in the head pipe will hurt both the bottom and the top (and the fall-off before peak will be significant). If your exhaust pipe gets a dent in the head pipe?or even worse, is squashed flat?it needs to be replaced.

(2) The typical rock dent in the pipe’s first cone (approximately 10 inches away from the exhaust flange) is nothing to worry about. Although it can cost some over-rev on top, it does not hurt horsepower at or below peak (quite the contrary).

(3) Center-cone dents are not a big deal.

Possibly.  Might be a good excuse to get a Pro Circuit pipe and get your stock one fixed as a spare.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, redrider144 said:

https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/this-much-we-know-the-truth-about-speed-dents-rock-dings-and-pipe-catastrophies/

Possibly.  Might be a good excuse to get a Pro Circuit pipe and get your stock one fixed as a spare.

Thanks for the link. That was the plan when my stock one got busted up. I'll give it another ride to verify and if I'm still at the same conclusion will go PC or FMF (Fatty) replacement.

14 hours ago, pgalligan said:

Dynos can have that much variation between runs without changing anything so that test doesn't really mean much

So true.  The only thing it means is to not worry about a small dent, it’s of very little consequence.