Sign in to follow this  

Need some advice

Hey guys and girls. I’m new to the forum. I have an 83 xl250r and am debating whether or not it’s worth doing some performance upgrades or not. I know I can get something faster that’s cheap but I love the bike and if it’s realistic to bore it out or swap motors I will.

Thanks for any input. IMG_2479.JPG

Keep your bike and buy a different one for its intended use. You will spend a lot of time and money making your bike into something it was never intended to be.

Edited by hondaxr650rrrr
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, hondaxr650rrrr said:

Keep your bike and buy a different one for its intended use. You will spend a lot of time and money making your bike into something it was never intended to be.

I agree.  Just make it the best that it was intended to be and if that's not enough for you, shop for something else.  It could be a real money pit and the results could be unsatisfactory.   You COULD keep the XL.  Guys DO own 2 (or more) bikes.  

• Like 1

Having poured a heap of dosh into a pre-rfvc 250, I wouldn't recommend it.

I  resleeved a cylinder to accept a 12mm oversize  Yamaha piston giving 338cc, then bored the cases to accept the 12mm oversize liner etc.

XR500 headgasket, XL500 carb.....

While it did go a LOT better, it still wasnt a 500.

The 6speed,and gear driven balancer motor you have  is the best of the old bunch by far.

Unless you can pick up a wrecked XL500r to swap over all the other bits you'd need........

• Like 1