Sign in to follow this  

Quick changing altitude

Hi guys

In November I will be heading to chile with my DR-Z400 S. I will then travel through southamerica and will be spending a lot of time in the Andes. But I will also be travelling on sealevel, which brings me to my question: Is there a carb jetting, which allowes me to do quick changes in altitude, without having to change the jetting all the time?

Thanks!

Cheers,

snecdka

Is your bike close to stock, mikuni carb, do you have a jet kit in it already?
I have run mine from sea level to over 10,000 ft. without any problems by setting mine up as lean as possible at sea level.
Keep the 22.5 pilot in there, lean out the main one step at a time till the bike surges over 2/3 throttle, then go back 1 richer to stop the surge. Then do the same with the needle. Set the mixture screw as lean as possible at sea level and when your high in the mountains you may just have to turn it in just a bit.
Close to stock these engines can handle being lean, I've got over 40,000 kms on mine and she's still running strong , from Vancouver to the height of the Rocky's.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! I have made no changes yet, but I thought of opening the airbox for more oxygen on high altitude. But then I have to change the jetting right?

Thanks for the reply! I have made no changes yet, but I thought of opening the airbox for more oxygen on high altitude. But then I have to change the jetting right?
Yes, a good place to start. Doing the 3x3 mod and JD jetting kit. Just remember that kit recommendations tend to be rich side, so start with the leanest recommendations, see how it runs at sea level, then if it runs good, try one leaner on the main. Also get the extended fuel mixture screw to make adjustments easier.