Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Bad Wheel Bearing?

Hey guys, I was working on changing the tube in my front tire today and when I took my front wheel off to inspect it I  ran into this.... Im not much of a mechanic and this is my first bike, it's a 2007 XR650L, but in that first photo i feel like you can see rust or something forming around the bearing I'm guessin.  Is this bearing bad?  This is the only bearing that looks like this, but I don't know if I should change out both sides or just this side?  Do I need to change the seal also when I change the bearing?  Thanks for any help!!

IMG-0518.thumb.JPG.7680dab34a2d9d390b4ce6901c3f001e.JPGIMG-0514.thumb.JPG.a4b2874ce5d49507f25abd400f873cea.JPGIMG-0515.thumb.JPG.2bf56fd2c223f71c0e7faa386d9dd6ad.JPG

Stick your finger in the bearing and turn it to see if there is any roughness. If the bearing feels rough, replace seal also. With the front wheel mounted on the bike grab it at top and bottom to see if there is any play.

A little rust on the edge of the race is not a big concern. If it were still on the bike, I would advise as above and suggest that you rotate the tire to see that it turns freely without ANY roughness and comes to a gradual halt. And NO sided to side wobble. Yo\u can;t really do this test without an axle through the hub.

If you are at all unsure, replace the bearings. That will necessitate replacing the seals, as well.

I tried spinning it with my finger and it felt a little "gritty" at first, but when i came back a little later and tried it with my finger it didn't seem nearly as "Gritty".  I went ahead and ordered a new bearing and seal kit,  I have to replace the brake pads also, they looked like they were barely there ?.  Do y'all have any recommendations for tools ill need, or that would help, with doing the above jobs?

1 hour ago, Emerson1396 said:

I tried spinning it with my finger and it felt a little "gritty" at first, but when i came back a little later and tried it with my finger it didn't seem nearly as "Gritty".  I went ahead and ordered a new bearing and seal kit,  I have to replace the brake pads also, they looked like they were barely there ?.  Do y'all have any recommendations for tools ill need, or that would help, with doing the above jobs?

Seal removal tool, has a head with 2 different shaped hooks on a long handle. Bearing removal tool with slide hammer, mine is a Tusk, Motion Pro makes one also and is a little more money. All available from RM ATV. Appropriately sized sockets can be used to drive in new bearings/seals. Some people use a long drift punch to remove bearings, the above mentioned tool is pretty slick though.

• Like 1

I usually use a big flat head screwdriver to take out wheel bearing seals and a drift to get the bearings out.

For installing bearings, I use the race from the bearing I removed to tap the new race in. You have to careful to keep the new race square to the hole when you're doing this. It's pretty easy and I suspect that the special tools mentioned above would make it even easier, but I'm cheap.

1 hour ago, Tin_knocker said:

Seal removal tool, has a head with 2 different shaped hooks on a long handle. Bearing removal tool with slide hammer, mine is a Tusk, Motion Pro makes one also and is a little more money. All available from RM ATV. Appropriately sized sockets can be used to drive in new bearings/seals. Some people use a long drift punch to remove bearings, the above mentioned tool is pretty slick though.

Don't buy the harbor freight seal tool, handle broke right off 1st time I hit it with my palm  ; (

I put the Wheel back on and spun it to see if there was any resistance, and it spun freely on its own.  I noticed that the wheel would keep coming to rest at the same spot where it looks like there are 3 weights on the spokes.  The bikes front end has been having this feeling of the wheel like bouncing, even when im on smooth pavement.  I filled it up with this stuff called slime because it had a leak somewhere and i wanted to seal it so i could get it to a place to work on it.  I assumed the the bouncing was coming from the fact that there was the slime sealant in my tube, but now that I've changed it and its still doing that, it's making me think it might be out of balance maybe?  

Can I move the three weights around that are already attached to the spokes.  I don't know if they come stock like this, but mine are positioned one after the other.  Obviously that is going to make that side of the wheel heavier, therefore off balance right? IMG_0522.thumb.JPG.2794024e793f1dc7eb370f83871dd74f.JPG

4 hours ago, highmarker said:

Don't buy the harbor freight seal tool, handle broke right off 1st time I hit it with my palm  ; (

That's a bummer i bought there tire irons today and they worked great!

You may move the weights around. They were added when a tire was mounted sometime in the past in order to balance the tire.

Just move weights until the tire is stops rotating in random positions.