Sign in to follow this  

KTM Bar bends

Over the last 4 to 5 years, Ive pondered changing bar bend on my 500, in the early years I thought of the Magrath bend, which has limited rear sweep like oem (which I think are KTM low bend by the measurements) for the #4 clamp position that I run(which raise bar position), Mcgraths are  lower than oem.

But Ive changed view, I want taller bars, cause with the high pegs, always feel not right when standing.  So first thought is Ktm High bend. Ive ran cr high bend on Hondas before, and really like them, for whoops and such,  but they have a larger rear sweep then ktm bars, so not sure if Id like as well. The ktm pegs have always felt closer to the bars than other bikes, and the main reason I run #4 position, as its more comfy standing.

So Id like to hear other peoples thoughts, and bar bends they've tried, if you can relate to what Ive said?

Bars are very much rider preference but here's my experiences since you mention the KTM bend.

I'm about 5'9" / 160lbs, 

on my MX track ridden '10 YZ125 the stock bars always felt too low / had too much sweep so

a few years ago I switched to the 'KTM / Factory Suzuki' bend (ProTaper EVO) which I think has the least amount of sweep/pullback of all bends.

My initial impressions were that this helps a lot in keeping your elbows up and out 

but lately as my skills/speed progressed and now re-adjusting / tuning my chassis and suspension to match,

I really felt that high speed stability suffered because less sweep had me hunched over too far forward on the bike.

A few weeks ago I replaced them with an 'RC' bend (Renthal Fatbar)

while the height feels quite similar, a bit less sweep now allows me to position myself further back on the bike

and be stable at speed thru rough / rutted up sections.

Perhaps someone with longer arms would not have had this issue using the KTM / less sweep bend.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

Perhaps someone with longer arms would not have had this issue using the KTM / less sweep bend.

Thanks for your experience, I do have slightly long arms , I could go CR high but does have added sweep, but  higher is definitely the direction, but you are right the ktm bend has the least sweep of any bars. And the sweep is a concern, and why I run the #4 most forward position.

Ive spent a lot of time, trying to confirm the 2015 bend is ktm low, they are nekken  brand. Judging by the measurements Im pretty sure they are.

under bar damper = 30mm rise and IMS pegs come in 5mm lower and 5mm back from oem. these and the damper make my 6'2 frame comfy is standing or sitting

2 hours ago, Airboss/oc said:

under bar damper = 30mm rise and IMS pegs come in 5mm lower and 5mm back from oem. these and the damper make my 6'2 frame comfy is standing or sitting

I wouldn't mind the pegs lower and 5mm back for positioning, but I wouldn't be able to reach the shift and brake lever, so Id have to do something there .

I looked at risers, but you can buy new bars, cheaper, I think 10mm higher would work okay, atleast alittle improvement. Im well below 6ft, so its not only tall guys that have ktm ergo issues.

You can buy factory KTM riser at 20mm for about $50.  Also, combined with Fastway E4 pegs you get much better riding position (they are moved back some) and I’m 6’3.  You can also switch to SX pegs which are 5mm lower I’ve been told. 

6 hours ago, pnw_obrigade said:

You can buy factory KTM riser at 20mm for about $50.  

Thanks, I'll check that out.   They changed pegs and mounting in 2017, but I looked at prior year model foot pegs from the sx of my era(2012-

2015), and they showed the same part number as mine, so there must be lower mounting point on the frame. Not sure about pre 2012 sx pegs.

8 hours ago, Airboss/oc said:

the ims pegs make a huge difference in weight transfer and with a lower cg the bike feels lighter

I noticed IMS has 4 or 5 different peg versions, when I checked their site

14 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Thanks, I'll check that out.   They changed pegs and mounting in 2017, but I looked at prior year model foot pegs from the sx of my era(2012-

2015), and they showed the same part number as mine, so there must be lower mounting point on the frame. Not sure about pre 2012 sx pegs.

I noticed IMS has 4 or 5 different peg versions, when I checked their site

I use the "Core Enduro" version