Sign in to follow this  

2003 XR250 low spark starts and shuts off

So I blew the motor up bought a good used one put it in and low spark changed the cover to my old one which was working fine same problem it will start for a second or two and shit off I rebuilt the carb as well and checked valve timing any input would be appreciated 

So what happens after it stalls? Does it start back up and only run for a couple seconds then quits again? How long has the gas been sitting? Is it a new plug?

OK, start at the beginning and make sure you have proper fuel flow by opening the drain plug of the float on the carb and if it flows well then probably not so much of a problem there, you do have spark and then it's air flow. If it starts then it starts, period so it should run but something is preventing that. Is there spark immediately after it shuts off ?

If there isn't then it is electronic in nature such as a coil connected wrong ?  Overheating or shorting out and if that checks out ( use no spark plug and make a gap for the coil to spark to ground and check it cold and then just after it quits running...so you are checking the coil with the plug and then without just to isolate that component. You can also manually check the coil by hooking it up directly to a battery by connecting the ground and then momentarily hitting the positive connection to the positive of the coil and it should spark, if not then a bad coil. If it sparks then you continue backward to the component that if faulty. 

It sounds like an electronic component is overheating quickly and then shutting down but you will have to check everything in line from the end to the beginning of the spark circuit. If you don't know how to use a multimeter then find someone or somewhere ( Youtube ? ) and teach yourself, it will be invaluable thru your life. You can find the specs on each item and test it to find out fairly quickly if it is within spec or faulty.

Wish I had more time, good luck and just keep trying !