KTMan88

Does a 125 make a better rider?

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are, if more people were to take a step back from riding the big bikes like so many of us do these days and learn to ride a 125 until the thing just couldn’t go anymore, do you think it would ultimately make them better riders when stepping back up to the big leagues or would it just cause more re-learning on the bigger, completely different animal?

• Like 1

No..

Riding more, with proper technique, drills, practice (and riding lessons if the budget allows) will make you a better rider... Throw in a better nutritional program, proper sleep as well as some off bike exercises such as yoga, strength program and some cardio and you'll be even better... 

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Meh...I too never really bought the notion that 125's make for better riders, the basic fundamentals can be taught on almost any bike. 

Besides dirtbikes, I also ride moto-trials. I think if an offroad rider spent a season riding trials, that might build the foundation better than any other bike. That being said, most dirtbike guys that get into trials, go about it the wrong way and learn nothing. For me, I almost parked my dirtbikes for 6 months while I built a solid foundation in trials. When I came back to enduro riding, I had a level of technical skills and riding efficiency that I never thought I could possibly have.

The other big thing for me has just been honing my physical fitness. I spend a several hours every week riding road and mountain bikes, as well as racing xc mtb, and my fitness is one of my strong points. 

• Like 4

As stated fundamentals and techniques can be taught and learned on any bike. But....... a 125 is a great tool as it forces those if you want to get it to go at a competent pace.  A 125 never made anyone a worse rider.  Not sure if I can say that about my 450 as it has made me quite lazy.

• Like 7

A 125 forces you to get good at clutch work, precise shifting, maintaining momentum and planning ahead. Your not going to clear that double with the throttle only like on a 450.

• Like 8

I think a less powerful bike will help a lot of riders with their skills, at least early in their riding life. Less power means easier to ride which means more concentration can be used on other stuff, rather than hanging on for dear life. There's always those that have started on a big bike and say it's easy blah blah, but it's easier on a smaller one.

I firmly believe everyone should experience a 125, yes because they are light and nimble and help the learning process, but mostly because they are simply the funnest machine you can ride. And isn't that what riding is all about?

edit; And yes, there's probably quite a few riders out there that would benefit from going back to a smaller bike and re-learning some of the basics.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 1

It'll force you to get better technique but as has been said already, you can learn better technique on any bike (if you actually commit to working on technique)

• Like 3

I think a less powerful bike will help a lot of riders with their skills, at least early in their riding life. Less power means easier to ride which means more concentration can be used on other stuff, rather than hanging on for dear life. There's always those that have started on a big bike and say it's easy blah blah, but it's easier on a smaller one.

I firmly believe everyone should experience a 125, yes because they are light and nimble and help the learning process, but mostly because they are simply the funnest machine you can ride. And isn't that what riding is all about?

edit; And yes, there's probably quite a few riders out there that would benefit from going back to a smaller bike and re-learning some of the basics.

I agree quite a bit with that statement, I personally do believe a 125 is great for learning. But I think it’s great for learning because I do believe it’s harder to ride. When I say that it’s not because I’m talking about riding it to it’s max, it’s because I’m talking about being lazy like everyone else. When I made the jump from 250F to 250 I was worried because I hadn’t ridden one yet and it was a blind jump and everyone talked them up so much. I’ve since ridden a 450 as well and I think big bikes are so much easier to ride when you aren’t milking everything out of them. It takes a lot more to go the same speed on a 125 as a big bike (on a track where it can even keep up) this is why I say they are harder to ride. Yes, of course they are much easier to throw around, but like I said, that’s not the angle I look at ‘easy’ or ‘hard’ from. I’ve personally seen some kids trained by Scott Plessinger on 125 who would absolutely amaze you with their riding because they are being taught to squeeze out every last bit of power they have. I do believe 125’s are a great training tool. But hey, that’s what we’re all here for is to give our opinion on the matter, right?

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

15 hours ago, mikedabike said:

As stated fundamentals and techniques can be taught and learned on any bike. But....... a 125 is a great tool as it forces those if you want to get it to go at a competent pace.  A 125 never made anyone a worse rider.  Not sure if I can say that about my 450 as it has made me quite lazy.

This guy gets it.

• Like 6

A 125 will amplify any mistakes you make. In which case, you'll work harder to not make those mistakes. In which case, Yes, a 125 will progress your riding skills/make you a better rider.

• Like 5

A 125 will amplify any mistakes you make. In which case, you'll work harder to not make those mistakes. In which case, Yes, a 125 will progress your riding skills/make you a better rider.  

You cant use logic! You must make a wild statement based on nothing but unrestricted emotions!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Knightly said:

You can use logic! You must make a wild statement based on nothing but unrestricted emotions! emoji12.png

Again? OK. "If you can't ride a 300/450cc as hard as you ride a 125. You can't ride a 300/450".

You're right. i do feel much better now lol.

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2019 at 3:18 PM, Knightly said:

A 125 forces you to get good at clutch work, precise shifting, maintaining momentum and planning ahead. Your not going to clear that double with the throttle only like on a 450.

By your logic, why doesn't everyone ride a 125 then? We all need to improve our skill... 

You have a better chance of shorting that double with a 125 then with a 450... "oh, I now have a broken leg but my clutch technique is getting better" 

On 8/24/2019 at 4:58 PM, pgalligan said:

It'll force you to get better technique but as has been said already, you can learn better technique on any bike (if you actually commit to working on technique)

Which very few people actually do....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Which very few people actually do....

Well, if they rode a 125, they'd be forced to.

According to your logic. Crashing a heavier, faster bike. will hurt less.

Edited by Drop-Bear

Just now, Drop-Bear said:

Well, if they rode a 125, they'd be forced to.

Your first sentence summed it up well.

But, you could just work on your technique on the bike you already have!?

For me, there is nothing fun or rewarding about riding a 125 to 'build my skills'.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Your first sentence summed it up well.

But, you could just work on your technique on the bike you already have!?

For me, there is nothing fun or rewarding about riding a 125 to 'build my skills'.

More weight will only hinder the process. IMO.

There's a good reason 125's still exist. Going from an 85cc to a 250 4T doesn't always end well.

They serve a purpose. That purpose is progression.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Helpful 1

Relatively new here:) and pretty inexperienced compared to most. I seem to find a theme of grand statements made but no backstory on the type of riding etc. When I read of “doubles and tracks” it’s a different universe to me yet the way some things are stated it as if it’s universal gospel. Am I correct that it’s a bit of a regional/location and a “horses for courses” thing or dammit do I need to buy a 125 now...

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Coccyx said:

Relatively new here:) and pretty inexperienced compared to most. I seem to find a theme of grand statements made but no backstory on the type of riding etc. When I read of “doubles and tracks” it’s a different universe to me yet the way some things are stated it as if it’s universal gospel. Am I correct that it’s a bit of a regional/location and a “horses for courses” thing or dammit do I need to buy a 125 now...

Just ride whatever you feel most comfortable on. That'll build confidence, and that makes a huge difference in your riding.

There's no right way, or wrong way. just different opinions. The best way, is whatever works for you

If you play a video game, and "clock it". Play that game again, and It's boring. Best thing about riding dirt bikes is, you will never master it, or, stop learning. Learning, and Improving, is the fun part.

I used  a MTB to practice riding the front wheel, and wheelies. Once I felt "Confident"I transitioned those skills to the dirt bike. Well, I'm in the process of that at least lol.

"Where there's will. There's always a way". Just think about it. If that doesn't help. Then think outside the box. Ie, I couldn't afford a Trials bike lol

Edited by Drop-Bear