Sign in to follow this  

2020 TE300i and 2019 TX300: Back to Back...Digital or Analog?

I got to spend some time on a new 2020 Husky TE300i and ride it back to back with my 2019 Husky TX300. Lots of TPI vs Carb discussion now so I wanted to share my observations from riding both of these bikes. There could be riders (like me) out there considering switching to a TPI bike and hopefully this information might be helpful.  These comments are from a couple of hours of riding in central Ohio. I am a 50+ vet rider that enjoys riding off road, MX, and lots of different bikes.  I am 6'2" tall and weigh 195 lbs.  I currently own a 2019 TX300 and 2020 FX350.

Digital (TPI) or Analog (Carburetor): what are the differences I felt while riding the 2020 TE300i and 2019 TX300? TPI has a smoother initial response which helps find traction then comes on strong in the mid with a quick revving feel to the engine.  The carb has stronger initial response and pulls a tick longer on top too. TPI is very smooth especially at low RPM's and can run a gear high lugging the engine and this helps control that quick revving feel of the TPI engine at higher RPM's on the trail. The carb bike engine response feels a little more organic with that classic 2-stroke quickness and sharpness yet still easy to control.  Power wise both are fast and feel like they have the same peak power.  Though not recommended by the dealer on TPI engines we found a little quicker throttle response and more torque feeling low to mid going 1/2~1 turn out from the factory setting on the power valve screw on the TE300i. The TPI bike started quickly and ran clean and so did the carb bike (which has PWK short body 38mm Keihin carburetor). From an engine point of view both are very good. The 20 TE300i with TPI is a high tech 2-stroke with fuel and oil injection that runs clean and never needs jetted. Yet the carburetor (especially the Keihin) on the 19 TX300 is still an amazingly effective and simple device that can easily be tuned (jetted) to work over a wide range of conditions.

From a chassis point of view the latest XPLOR suspension settings on the 2020 TE300i work great off road: plush, absorbing, and compliant right off the showroom floor. A little more hold up in the suspension overall in this 2020 TE300i setting but still uses lots of stroke to absorb the bumps.  Both the forks and shock respond well to clicker changes.  I was impressed how comfortable the TE300i was to ride with the stock clicker settings.  The TE300i forks come with external preload adjusters for easy front fork spring preload changes.  Other chassis differences include a smaller rear axle and non rubber mounted handlebar clamps on the 20 TE300i.  The TX300 comes with rubber mounted handlebar clamps.  The frame on the 20 TE300i is slightly different than my TX300 at the lower steering head area.  The TE300i handlebars are slightly narrower and taller than the stock TX300 bars. This gives the front end of the TE a slightly different feel compared to the TX. Riding them back to back the TE300i has a slightly quicker steer feel at the bars and a little less stability at speed.  The TE300i now comes with the same MX linkage at the TX300.  

Other things I noticed: I installed an OEM 2019 Husky TE headlight and an Acerbis tail light on my 2019 TX300 (along with WP Cone Valve forks) but even with these extras the 19 TX300 feels noticeably lighter when putting it on a stand but not so much on the trail. The silencer is bigger and has more packing on the 2020 TE300i so it sounds a little quieter. The seat cover on the 2020 TE300i is a smoother material compared to the gripper seat cover on the TX300 seat. I prefer the TE300i cover. 

Just wanted to share my impressions from spending some time on a new 2020 TE300i.  Both bikes are very capable off road and fun to ride.  I am still undecided on upgrading to a 2020 TPI 300......and to confuse things further another buddy just picked up a new 2020 KTM 300XCW...now I am thinking about TPI vs Carb and Linkage vs PDS!  I'll post that review in another thread!

I got some GoPro riding the bikes back to back on a portion of the track and loop we rode the bike on.  I also included GoPro of a longer woods loop on the TE300i.  Feel free to subscribe to my Youtube channel as I get to ride some different bikes and enjoy sharing my ride observations.  Ride safe and have fun!

IMG_0220.jpeg

Edited by mxengineer4
add link
  • Like 5

Being you've got a fair bit of time on the new style Husky. How are the grab handles on the rear? Do they get covered in mud, and give you a mitt full of dirt or mud if you need to use them?

48 minutes ago, Goatse said:

Being you've got a fair bit of time on the new style Husky. How are the grab handles on the rear? Do they get covered in mud, and give you a mitt full of dirt or mud if you need to use them?

I try not to grab too far under but generally you will get your gloves dirty when lifting the rear of the bike