Sign in to follow this  

Enduro tyres

Looking for both front and rear tyre for a few xtreme enduros, so mabye like a trials tyre. Anyone got any recommendations? I am riding lots of rocks, hill climbs etc.  Do u know what pros run like graham Jarvis or Mario roman? 

12 minutes ago, Enduroboy223 said:

Looking for both front and rear tyre for a few xtreme enduros, so mabye like a trials tyre. Anyone got any recommendations? I am riding lots of rocks, hill climbs etc.  Do u know what pros run like graham Jarvis or Mario roman? 

I'd go to a local meet and see what the guys who are winning are running. Those pro's you mention may not ride the same terrain as you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

I'd go to a local meet and see what the guys who are winning are running. Those pro's you mention may not ride the same terrain as you.

The pros at any extreme enduro run a 'gummy' tire. I am just wondering what gummy tires are available out their and if anyone has any experience on them. The pros still run the same tire from redbull hare scramble to red-bull Romaniacs.  

You can buy the same brand and model tires as a true pro, but some of them get tires you can't buy, that are made for them.

Jarvis ran GoldenTyre last I knew.

That said, this video gives some thoughts on what's currently available.

I'd be prone to taking Hans' advice and going to see what people are running in your terrain.

• Helpful 1

Kenda Ibex. Purpose built tire for endurocross and extreme enduro. 

Edited by BOAB
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SloChicken said:

As for the Ibex I previously mentioned, one good thing about it is the fact that it is available in the larger 120 size, many of the sticky tires in that article aren't.  A friend of mine competed in endurocross and loved it.

You were wondering what the pros use::

"KENDA IBEX K774
Released in 2017, the Kenda Ibex was developed by the SRT Pro race team for EnduroCross and extreme enduro racing. This is the tire of choice for many top pros in the EnduroCross series."  And you can't beat the price, Kendas are the best deal in tires, and it crosses over very well like a lot of their tires.

Edited by BOAB

I'm guessing the OP is from England?

IMO the topic I posted previously discusses the difference between whats popular or available in NA and in Europe.

I'm not a pro nor do I race hard enduro or anything else but where I live and ride in the PWN the Shinko 505 Cheater has been the best and most durable tire I have ever used. I just put on a 525 Cheater to compare and IMO in worked extremely well in soft loamy/rooty wet/hard packed/rocky fast/slow but having a new tire on is almost as good as getting a new bike. Then its playing with PSI.

Trying the Shinko 216 front but early days for both 🙂

18 hours ago, Enduroboy223 said:

The pros at any extreme enduro run a 'gummy' tire. I am just wondering what gummy tires are available out their and if anyone has any experience on them. The pros still run the same tire from redbull hare scramble to red-bull Romaniacs.  

Good gawd man, we are living in a golden time for enduro tires.  There are prob a half dozen top quality gummy enduro tires available.  Spend a minute or two on Google and you will find them.

My favourite is the Shinko 505 Cheater.  It has a tall sidewall and is very soft like a trials tire but it has big chunky knobbies.  It is inexpensive and it lasts forever.  I've got one on a bike that is 2 years old now and still has loads of life left in it.

17 hours ago, robw122 said:

I'd be prone to taking Hans' advice and going to see what people are running in your terrain

I wouldn't.  For ever, guys were using the IRC M5B here because .... everyone used that tire and everyone knew that was THE tire to use here. (circular logic at its finest).  Fast forward a few years and you will not find anyone running that tire anymore.  The hybrid enduro tires have completely taken over.

• Like 1

IMO the 525 has a wider spaced thread pattern side to side than the 525

7239-58b4997244bd3.jpg

525 has a bitter deeper tread and a bit more of a motocross design.

3380-59babeabe0fae.jpg

The 216 MX rear which only comes in a 140/80-18 and doesn't get talked about much and maybe someone can comment on that.

b991-5a6b7f4e62d01.jpg

https://www.shinkotireusa.com/products/off-road/extreme-enduro

The 505 lasts forever .... likely because of its greater density of knobs pattern.  There have been reports of the 525 not lasting, which is likely due to the wider knob spacing combined with the soft rubber compound.

One thing that is really nice about the softer rubber compound is that the knobs don't crack or split and thus the tire does not shed knobs.

I honestly don't care how long a tire lasts. I only care about how it performs for the race I put it on for. After that, I'll use it for practice, until the next race. 

My mates line up for them. 

I'm not that fussy what goes on the rear, more so, what goes on the front. I loved the  S/10 and M3 tires. Not so much a fan of the Starcross 5's.  Or any of the other tires I've tried recently. All the new front tires suck IMO.

GoldenTire (Excellent rear tire)  front was good for about 2 rides, same with the Sorpion MX32's (Excellent rear tire), and never used a Dunlop I've liked. For me atm, Starcross 5 is the best front tire in a bad bunch.

Edited by Drop-Bear