Sign in to follow this  

Enduro tyres

Just now, highmarker said:

Dunlop and Maxxis have a gummy too. The dunlop is quite expensive, the maxxis is the desert IT made with soft rubber. 

Never seen a  Maxxis tire in Aus. Not even on a bike. Someone most likely has them, but no Idea who.

My go to tire used to be the Maxxis Desert ITs and I could run the back at like 2ish PSI.

We live in a great time for dirt bike tires and IMO you got to buy them and and try them for where/how you ride.

Not enough money or time or $$$ to try all the tires or for that matter all the motor bikes 🙂

37 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

Never seen a  Maxxis tire in Aus. Not even on a bike. Someone most likely has them, but no Idea who.

you might know them as CST? which used to be called Cheng Shin ("chicken skins")  They own Maxxis which is a better line of tires IMO.   Chicken skin made a huge 5.60 that rubbed everywhere and would hit the chain, we ran them on 500's thinking bigger was better (it wasn't).  The Maxxis gummy is available to sponsored riders now, rep told me they are talking about public later.

Edited by highmarker
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, highmarker said:

you might know them as CST? which used to be called Cheng Shin ("chicken skins")  They own Maxxis which is a better line of tires IMO.   Chicken skin made a huge 5.30 that rubbed everywhere and would hit the chain, we ran them on 500's thinking bigger was better (it wasn't).  The Maxxis gummy is available to sponsored riders.  

Yes. I've seen Cheng Shin   tires.

24 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

Yes. I've seen Cheng Shin   tires.

Cheng Shin and Maxxis are the one and same.

Had some maxxis on my 4x4 and felt they were fine. Not sure about their dirt bike tyres though.

Has them on the treadly as well and were also fine 

On 8/25/2019 at 10:29 AM, robw122 said:

You can buy the same brand and model tires as a true pro, but some of them get tires you can't buy, that are made for them.

Jarvis ran GoldenTyre last I knew.

That said, this video gives some thoughts on what's currently available.

I'd be prone to taking Hans' advice and going to see what people are running in your terrain.

Nearly all the pros are running Michelin now (including jarvis). Michelin tires rounder at the top 5 in ezberg hixpania and romiacs, they are dominating for some reason. However Jonny walker taddy and a few other are running metzeler tires. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 10:29 AM, filterx said:

I think they are running the new Michelin's Enduro Medium but you can go to the end of this and go backwards.

Ye they all are, do u know where I can find them? Cant seem to find them on the internet, might not be available to us.

2 hours ago, Enduroboy223 said:

Nearly all the pros are running Michelin now (including jarvis). Michelin tires rounder at the top 5 in ezberg hixpania and romiacs, they are dominating for some reason. However Jonny walker taddy and a few other are running metzeler tires. 

Shows you what I know...

I had no idea. Thanks!

I competed in PNW Enduros fro several decades so any improvement in traction helps. Trials bikes have amazing traction and when spectating an event I notice that underwater ocks on a creek crossing had rubber marks on them from the Trials bike, my thoughts were "great traction".  Years later I bought a Trials bike and found that it had more traction on wet clay than any knobby. 🤦

I also got busted by a pair of Trials bikes while riding wet clay with my XR running a knobby.  So I bought a Dunlop D803 radial ply 4.00R18 tire for the back and never looked back. This tire is like cheating for traction and lasts a long time.  After years I finally wore it out and installed the newer D803GP version.  I also found that the narrow 2.75x21 front Trials tire provides very smooth steering and makes it easier to dodge trail debris.  I put the same tires on my CRF250X with similar results. 

No free lunch because the smaller void spaces and short knobs that provide the extra traction also more easily pack with loose soil and turn the tire into a ski. You will need to use more front brake on loose soil down hills. And also keep your momentum up on loose climbs. However more traction everywhere else that makes riding a lot easier. If I lower TP to 4psi so the tire can self clean I have more traction on wet clay than any knobby.   And the tire will leave rubber marks on dry hard clay. I don't trench trails I just ride over obstacles.

If I managed some of the areas I ride I would require Trials tires to reduce trail damage and maintenance costs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Enduroboy223 said:

Pros run whatever brand pays them the most.  Michelin is a BIG company with resources to pay the top riders.  Doesn't make them the best tire.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I spent a season on a trials tire and for sure they offer amazing traction and bump absorption.  However, they really suck on sidehills and grass and grassy sidehills ... forgetabouit.  Which is why I went to the 505 Cheater, which is basically a trials tire with big knobs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

Pros run whatever brand pays them the most.  Michelin is a BIG company with resources to pay the top riders.  Doesn't make them the best tire.

When michelin released their new enduro tire back in 2018 all the pros switched to it, the tire offers much more grip than its competitiors. Graham used to be with golden tire, however he switched becuase he said michelin is longer lasting and offers more grip. They dont just go with whatever brand, in hard enduro grip is everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enduroboy223 said:

When michelin released their new enduro tire back in 2018 all the pros switched to it, the tire offers much more grip than its competitiors. Graham used to be with golden tire, however he switched becuase he said michelin is longer lasting and offers more grip. They dont just go with whatever brand, in hard enduro grip is everything.

The pros use whatever brand pays them the most.  Michelin is a gigantic company with a huge amount of resources.  Do you really think Jarvis, or anyone would say anything but wonderful things about a tire they are being paid to use?  Do you think the pros would forgo the huge amount of sponsorship money from one company just to use a different tire that they have to pay to use?  Not a snowball's chance in hell.

1 minute ago, CDNSXV said:

The pros use whatever brand pays them the most.  Michelin is a gigantic company with a huge amount of resources.  Do you really think Jarvis, or anyone would say anything but wonderful things about a tire they are being paid to use?  Do you think the pros would forgo the huge amount of sponsorship money from one company just to use a different tire that they have to pay to use?  Not a snowball's chance in hell.

They choose tires not for money but one that offers the best grip,  If your theory is so correct why dont they choose brigestone? (brigestone earns a tone more than michelin). Do you think its just a coincidence that the minute Michelin released there new enduro tire that many of the top pros switched?? 

1 minute ago, Enduroboy223 said:

Do you think its just a coincidence that the minute Michelin released there new enduro tire that many of the top pros switched?? 

No, they sponsored pro riders to promote their new product. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

No, they sponsored pro riders to promote their new product. 

They dont sponsor riders they sponsor a team. Only exception is someone like manuel lettenbichler who is a privateer. What I am trying to get at is that the pros dont just choose any tire for races like ezberg or hixpania, they choose a gummy grippy one. All I know is that when they were running the gummy tire from golden tire or other brands the tire would be destroyed nearing the end of the race so grip was decreasing, the Michelin enduro Medium offers same amount of grip whilst being more durable as they use silicone in their enduro tire. So in a race like ezberg or romaniacs when the day goes for like 6-8hrs the tire lasts longer hence why they use michelin (mitas also has a very good tire) 

15 hours ago, Enduroboy223 said:

They dont sponsor riders they sponsor a team.

the Michelin enduro Medium offers same amount of grip whilst being more durable. So in a race like ezberg or romaniacs when the day goes for like 6-8hrs the tire lasts longer hence why they use michelin (mitas also has a very good tire) 

A rider, contracted to a team, sponsored by a tire manufacturer HAS to run the sponsor's tire.   The riders running the Michelin are doing so because they or their team are contracted to run that brand.  They are not free to choose another brand.  It is not their choice.  How well do you think it would go over for a rider to bash the tire their team and by extension, they are contracted to run?

How do you know the Michelin has the same grip level with longer durability?  Have you actually used different brands and compared them yourself?